Author Topic: Selling, opinions please: original or not?  (Read 4052 times)

rubenpadron

Selling, opinions please: original or not?
« on: July 04, 2016, 02:42:12 »
Hi all,

We've come to the decision that after 6 years of wonderful ownership, it's time to move on from our beloved Pagoda, a 1970 280SL, US spec.

The car is an older restoration (I believe about 25 years old now) and shows very well with a very nice interior and good paint that has some chips which have been touched up throughout the years. It is in excellent mechanical condition with updated A/C and it loves to run at 80mph, surprising all cars around it! I would classify the car as a nice driver.

When I purchased the car, I found a pristine set of European headlamps (original Bosch) as well as a set of front bumpers without over-riders. To me, the car looks absolutely incredible with these items on - just as Mr. Bracq intended!

I'd love to get opinions on the following: I have the original US-spec headlamps in good condition as well as the original bumpers with over riders (chrome is OK, not great). Would it make sense to:

1) Put the car back to original with US spec headlamps and bumpers back on, while selling the Euro Bosch headlamps separately? Or,
2) Sell the car as is with the Euro headlamps and bumpers, selling off the US spec headlamps and bumpers separately?

How much does the market value originality? Any thought on what Euro headlamps and US headlamps go for these days? How about US front bumpers?

I really appreciate your input, thanks in advance!

Cheers!

Ruben

Tyler S

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, Encinitas
Re: Selling, opinions please: original or not?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2016, 18:48:33 »
Ruben, I would leave this option open for perspective buyers. See which setup they want or possibly both. Negotiate a price for the additional equipment and if they don't want it then sell it off after you have sold the car.
1968 (67) 250sl. 4 speed manual. DB180 Silver
1955 220 Cabriolet A. White Grey
2019 E450 Wagon. Majestic Blue
1936 Ford PU Flathead V8. Creme on tan interior.
1989 Volkswagen T3 Westfailia Campmobile. Dove Grey (blue)

Pinder

• Platinum
  • USA, NJ, Edison
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2016, 23:59:35 »
I agree with Tyler.  I also think the European headlights look great.  If you decide to sell the US head lights I would be interested as I have one headlight where the plastic ring is broken.
1970 280 SL Light Ivory DB 670. 4 Speed manual shift no AC Limited Slip Diff.

Pinder

• Platinum
  • USA, NJ, Edison
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2016, 01:48:03 »
I have a guy in NJ who is asking me if I wanted to sell any of my cars. I told him know and he wanted to know if I knew anyone who wants to sell. Let me know what you are asking and I can pass on the information. 

Best regards

Pinder.
1970 280 SL Light Ivory DB 670. 4 Speed manual shift no AC Limited Slip Diff.

G$ 993

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2016, 03:15:05 »
May I selfishly ask that you sell the euro headlights to me? 8)

Agree with others.  I would give options to any potential buyers at various price points. 

And if you get stuck with a pair of euro lamps, drop me a line!

Best,
Mark

rubenpadron

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2016, 17:55:15 »
Thanks guys - I appreciate the responses. I think I'm leaning towards offering the car at one of the local (to me) auctions coming up in Monterey during car week. In this context, I'm guessing originality would be more valued. Let me know if others agree / disagree.

Anyone have experience selling their Pagoda at auction? I kind of like to immediacy of it (assuming reserves are met) as letting this car go will be difficult. Also, not having to deal with unknown buyers, test drives, etc.

Pinder & Mark: if I go in this direction, I'll let you guys know when I'm ready to sell the Euro lights.  ;)

Cheers!

Ruben

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2016, 21:58:26 »
Ruben,
From experience any time you add something to a deal it usually gets negotiated in and your return sinks.  At this point you are probably better off setting the car up "As delivered" and selling the remains later.  The headlights and bumpers if clean will probably bring in the neighborhood of $1500 on their own.

Bonnyboy

• Gold
  • Canada, BC, North Vancouver
  • 1969 280sl Euro 4sp LSD
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2016, 23:57:57 »
Little anecdotal bit - I am finding more and more people want original.  Even if they don't understand what makes the car desirable.   Case in point - an acquaintance wanted a Pagoda - had to be original - original colour - original options etc. 

There was an American car for sale locally but had the bumpers and lights swapped for euros but the soft pockets and speedo in miles remained.   He didn't want that because it had a colour change (when they restored it) and they blanked out the side marker holes and put the wrong bumpers and headlights on it.  It was a good deal as it was an estate sale.   

He said no - so what does he do - 6 months later goes and buys an original car - he tires of the white original paint and has it repainted and while they are at it had the bumpers and head lights swapped over to European spec and the side markers removed and holes welded over.   

He told me that not buying the first car was the stupidest decision he made as he is into the second car for $35k more (the first one was a steal) but he was told originality was everything when he was purchasing.   

So in short - my advice - put the US headlights and bumpers back in and sell your "original" car and sell the spare parts separately.   

Ian
69 280SL
65 F-100
73 CB750K
75 MGB
78 FLH
82 CB750SC
83 VF 1100C
94 FLHTCU
08 NPS50
12 Pro 4X

rubenpadron

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2016, 08:14:25 »
Ian and Shvegel: thank you both kindly for your responses and perspectives... That was what my gut was telling me as well, so I'll swap things out back to normal.

Cheers!

Ruben