Author Topic: Speedo cable  (Read 2889 times)

cfm65@me.com

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • Mossel Bay, South Africa
Speedo cable
« on: July 06, 2016, 09:50:13 »
Hi Guys,
I need help fitting a speedo cable to my LHD Pagoda which came without the said cable.
Firstly, where does the cable enter the cab? My guess is, from the left, main harness then hood release cable and hole nr 3 for the speedo cable.
Second question. How do I get to the back of the instrument?  I have been there before in a previous life. About 30 years ago I replaced the ignition switch as well as the vent controls on my first Pagoda but for the life of me, I cant remember which route. Is it through the rev counter then the square centre instrument cluster OR from the R/H side, through the glove box and then the radio cover?
Regards
Chris
28 Ford Model A Pickup
29 Chevy Phaeton
67 E Type FHC
67 250SL 5 speed
83 911SC
2015 VW T5 California Pop Top

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
Re: Speedo cable
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2016, 16:18:52 »
The speedo cable on my 70 280 SL enters the firewall between the connection point for the trouble light (small, black hinge covered connector) and the heater core connection. There are two grommets, one over the other. The top grommet has several items through it, including the tachometer cable. The one directly below is where the speedo cable goes through.

For access, the speedo is a bit of a pain. When I have done this for speedo repair, I took out the tach, which is reasonably straightforward, (it helps to take off the steering wheel - taking out the driver's seat is also a help, but not essential). Then I had enough access for the speedo.

You should be able to use the main search function to get some further information. This is a fairly common item.
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

cfm65@me.com

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • Mossel Bay, South Africa
Re: Speedo cable
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2016, 18:21:01 »
TKS Jonny,
Regards