Author Topic: Minor Soft top Problem  (Read 4368 times)

Pagoda_84

Minor Soft top Problem
« on: July 03, 2016, 09:20:25 »
New to pagoda's and I have a question about the soft top on my 68 280sl.

Flipping down the rear part and securing it with the pin is impossible for one person to do. The pin is a few milimeters out to the right so I cant really slam it.. the only way is to line it up and press down from above. The problem is it takes the pressure from 2 fully grown men to get it down and I cannot operate the soft top on my own. It seems like it doesnt want to come down the last 2 or 3 cm.

Is there a way to adjust it so there is more slack in the back part?

I tried doing it the other way around and securing the rear first but then the front two pins are around 3cm from the securing point and there is no way to get them forward enough.

Any advice on how to adjust would be appreciated.

Jonathon

zoegrlh

• Gold
  • USA, VA, Williamsburg
  • Beauty from top BCW
Re: Minor Soft top Problem
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2016, 14:25:20 »
There are adjustments that can be made at the shims, the driver side and passenger side where the top frame attaches. You can slid top frame forward or backwards, depending on how much you need. Also the locking mechanism can be adjusted a little up or down. Could be too far down.
Bob
Robert Hyatt
Williamsburg, VA.

W113, 1970 280SL, Red leather 242 on Silver Gray Met. 180, 4-speed stick, Euro spec, restored
R172 2012 SLK350, Black Premium leather 801 on Mars Red 590, 7-speed auto
W211, 2007 E320 Bluetec, Cashmere MB Tex 144 on Arctic White 650, 7 speed auto

kampala

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Beach Cities
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2016, 16:28:35 »
Jonathon,

Welcome to the group.

In addition to any adjustments it sounds like a classic case of the soft top needing to be stretched.    This is very common issue if the soft top has not been exercised in a number of years.   There are several methods as you will find be searching this site.  Here's a write-up in the tech manual to get you started.   

http://www.sl113.org/wiki/Tops/SoftTop#Stretching
250sl - later - manual
280sl - 1971 - Auto - LSD

georgem

• Gold
  • Australia, Queensland, Birkdale
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2016, 21:02:37 »
Jonathon,

Yes to all of the above, but in the mean time you can cheat a little - open the soft top up, but fasten the rear before the front - the tension is still the same, and you will eventually have to adjust that as the others say but it is easier to apply pressure to the catches at the front on either side rather than stretching across the boot. One person can do a side at a time.

cheers
George McDonald
Brisbane
230 Sl
1973 VW Kombi Single Cab Ute
2022 Volvo XC 40 Pure (100% electric)

Mechudo62

• Associate Member
  • Junior Level
  • Mexico, Distrito Federal, Mexico City
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2016, 23:33:02 »
Exactly! Do the rear pin first and then have somone help you to put pressure on the top at each fastener on the windshield while you do the turning on the levers inside.
Greetings from sunny Mexico!
Fernando Mangino

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2016, 01:18:42 »
Just be careful! When trying to put in the pins at the windshield header, the grip you can put on the top is a bit dodgy. And if the top is tight/dry/etc it is sort of easy to put a hole through the material from an errant thumb! A friend and I tried to get his soft top in place after MANY years of setting in the well, we could not get it to latch. He then tried the water spray, out in the sun, etc. but the top was just too brittle....
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

RobSirg

• Gold
  • Australia, Victoria, Melbourne
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2016, 06:05:32 »
Jonathon, I had a similar problem and actually wrote about my solution  (to the amusement of many) whereby I kicked off my shoes and climbed up on the rear frame of the softtop (I'm quite nimble) and used my body weight to click in the pin on the rear. (I actually put my back out once trying to stretch over and exert extra pressure using my palms - hence the need for a better solution.)

Well, I'm happy to say I have a new improved method - I first locate the front pins in the holes but do not lock them in (don't turn the handles) I then slam down the rear of the soft top and then get back in the car to lock in the front handles. Works a treat.

Hope that helps.

Rob
1969 280SL Auto RHD 906G,  H'top 387H, Parchm't
1970 280SL Man. RHD Dark Red 542G, Bamboo MB Tex
1962 E Type Jag BRG with Tan
1974 White Alfa Spider 2000
2023 Range Rover
1982 280TE (my daily)
1967 Alfa Spider ("Duetto") Red
1977 Yellow 911 Targa
1991 Nissan Figaro
1959 190SL Black
1970 300SEL 3.5

Paul & Dolly

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, Wales, CARDIFF
  • i Car
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2016, 07:21:48 »
Jonathon,

The soft top centre rear latch position can be adjusted slightly by loosening the 4 bolts that hold it to the car, accessable from the storage well.
It is best to mark its current position first, then you know where you started from.
The  4 locating holes on the latch are slightly oval, so allow minor adjustment.
Maybe this could help you.

Good luck

Paul
Paul (located in Cardiff - Wales - UK)
1967 Early 250 SL (Auto) White
Mitsubishi i Car
Toyota RAV 4  Hybrid AWD
1936 Alvis Firebird (Gone............)

Pagoda_84

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2016, 12:17:54 »
THansk guys. Some really helpful stuff here. Will look at it this weekend.