Author Topic: Becker Europa II Stereo  (Read 3783 times)

gcw206

• Associate Member
  • Regular
  • USA, WA, Seattle
Becker Europa II Stereo
« on: June 25, 2016, 17:26:23 »
When I bought my car several years ago, the P/O had installed an aftermarket Alpine Radio, and cut 2 speakers in the kick panels, and also 2 speakers in the rear package deck (I know...................!)
I recently sourced a very nice Becker Europa II Stereo, and am in the process of removing the Alpine, and replacing it with the Becker.  I plan to run the Becker (2 feeds out, 7 amps each) into
a hidden Alpine KTP 445U amp (2 feeds in, 4 feeds out, 45 amps each). I want to buy 5.25" speakers (they will require no more cutting), however, they are rated at 2 ohms, and the amp is rated at 4 ohms impedance. 
Can I run 2 ohm speakers, or do I have to buy 4 ohm speakers?  P.S.  Great site, by the way; I have learned a lot in the past months.  Thank; you,  Galen
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 17:45:51 by gcw206 »

Tyler S

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, Encinitas
Re: Becker Europa II Stereo
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2016, 19:10:37 »
You should have no problem. That amp is very flexible. @2 ohms each speakers will receive up to 90 watts so keep that in mind. After you adjust your gain, If you find they distort easily then switch the selector switch on the amp from 2 channel to 4 channel. This will uncouple the amp and supply 45 watts max per front channel. Do not switch the "bridged" switch on with 2 ohm speakers.
1968 (67) 250sl. 4 speed manual. DB180 Silver
1955 220 Cabriolet A. White Grey
2019 E450 Wagon. Majestic Blue
1936 Ford PU Flathead V8. Creme on tan interior.
1989 Volkswagen T3 Westfailia Campmobile. Dove Grey (blue)

gcw206

• Associate Member
  • Regular
  • USA, WA, Seattle
Re: Becker Europa II Stereo
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2016, 00:21:33 »
The installation went just as you said it would.  The existing Alpine Home Unit has been recycled, the Becker Europa II installed, and the new Becker, amp, and speakers are running just fine.  I did go with the 4 OHM speakers, and they work great.  I managed to hide the amp up in the dash area, so you would not know that it was there.  I filled the existing speaker cut outs with some Focal Speakers, and everything sounds pretty good.  I diid have to utilize the remote turn on for the amp (apparently the Becker's 7 amps output per channel was not enough to energize the amp), but after some fine tuning, all is well.  Plenty of power, great sound, good volume at freeway speed, and the stock radio "look".  It was all worth while.  Thank you again for your help; this is a great site.  Galen