Author Topic: A new low  (Read 9677 times)

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Re: A new low
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2017, 01:33:56 »
Dieter,

I have not seen this, and a "concours condition" 190SL at $35,000 is surely a hoax, a mistake or similar.

Note to the wise: this site that Dieter listed, www.classiccars.co.uk is specifically the kind of site to be wary of. If you cannot readily obtain a phone number, a physical address, and a name or two--and double check those facts against other things, it's really time to just walk away. Any honest reputable person maintaining such a site would make that information available, if not: they do NOT want to be found, so don't try... There are plenty of other honest, reputable dealers and similar that WILL talk to you, will provide an address and phone number and that's one way to separate the wheat from the chaff.

BTW, the seller (or broker I should say) of this POS 190SL unrestorable rust bucket, is quite easily traced. He's a lawyer with this car brokerage hobby out of Daytona Beach. Easy to find two physical addresses for him. Doesn't make this 190SL any better but at least you are not dealing with an untraceable ghost!
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2017, 01:56:48 »
I am always a little sceptical when the license plate isn't in the pictures.  All photos are from the front which tells me the "Seller" may have culled images he found online.

rusty747

« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2017, 19:38:00 »
There is also a silver 190sl for sale at the same price. The silver one has a phone number, which by looking at the country code, woud appear to be in Indonesia. As a potential buyer of a 250sl/280sl i have been in contact with 2 scammers in Indonesia and this would appear to be another one. Please use the old saying " if it appears too good to be true, it probably is " !!
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 04:16:36 by rusty747 »

Topless

« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2017, 12:13:45 »
Was it found at the bottom of a lake  :-X