Author Topic: Hardtop Bead seals for bottom outside quarter glass  (Read 3151 times)

MikeL43

Hardtop Bead seals for bottom outside quarter glass
« on: December 15, 2016, 20:17:57 »
Ok, I gave it the old college try but couldn't find anything on the above topic when I searched the Pagoda site so here is my question.  I just got my hardtop back from the upholsterer who replaced the headliner (good job) and all of the seals including the quarter glasses but not the rear window seal.  As an aside  I told him that now that he has done a pagoda top he wouldn't have any trouble doing the next one to which he replied he was never going to do another one as this one  was a real PITA. 
My question relates to the small seal that goes on the outside of the quarter glass at the bottom of the quarter glass between the window and the chrome strip that runs horizontal to the ground.  I didn't realize I needed one until my upholsterer showed me the gap where it was supposed to be located.  I found and ordered one from Bud's Benz (good people) but discovered that the seals, each of which were about 19 inches, cost about $2.50 per inch.  Oh well, at least I have found them.  The problem is that the front of the horizontal chrome piece sticks out about 3/8 ths of an inch from the perpendicular chrome piece it meets at the front which doesn't seem right. If someone has a photo of this area or a suggestion about how to solve this problem please let me know.  I just got the new seals in but will have to get some help to remove the hardtop to access the screws that secure the chrome strips to the HT.  TIA.     

waltklatt

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA
Re: Hardtop Bead seals for bottom outside quarter glass
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2016, 21:02:59 »
Mike,
There is no additional rubber strip that fits between the glass and the bottom chrome.
There is already a lip/flap built into the window rubber at the bottom for this, and the chrome trim fits underneath.  Perhaps the restorer has installed the trim wrong.
If you are referring the the seal between the body and the hardtop, then that is orderable as a piece, not by the foot.
Walter

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2016, 21:46:35 »
As Walter typed if you have the seal between the hardtop and the lid in mind here is a photo showing how it is installed.
Don't forget the little rubber plug in the middle!
Also take a look at #11 here: http://www.sls-hh-shop.de/out/pictures/0/IN02_0440.jpg
This is an EXPENSIVE seal but very necessary to prevent rain water entering while driving.
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

Tyler S

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, Encinitas
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2016, 01:13:19 »
If the seal Alfred is pointing out is what you are looking for, URO makes this seal for about $60. If your ok with aftermarket seals.
http://www.autohausaz.com/pn/1137900083
1968 (67) 250sl. 4 speed manual. DB180 Silver
1955 220 Cabriolet A. White Grey
2019 E450 Wagon. Majestic Blue
1936 Ford PU Flathead V8. Creme on tan interior.
1989 Volkswagen T3 Westfailia Campmobile. Dove Grey (blue)

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton and Brisbane Queensland
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2016, 00:42:12 »
I have used both OEM and after market and they both worked fine in this area.
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric