Author Topic: Power Steering belt adjustment - Has this part been bent?  (Read 2042 times)

dldubois

• Silver
  • USA, FL, Pembroke Pines
I had a squeaky power steering belt and went to replace.     Started to loosen the tensioner and the bold just broke off at the point in the photo.   Does this look like its been bent?    I just need to loosen 3 bolts to get the belt tightened?     How does the tensioner bolt attach?   Am I stuck ripping it all out in order to replace?   

Thanks much.

Dana DuBois
1969 280sl
Pembroke Pines, FL

mbzse

• Platinum
  • Sweden, Stockholm, Stockholm
Re: Power Steering belt adjustment - Has this part been bent?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2017, 22:08:16 »
Quote from: dldubois
.../...  I just need to loosen 3 bolts to get the belt tightened?  How does the tensioner bolt attach?
The mounting (reply to your query) is described in this thread. Also read Alfred´s description of the mount for the pump (link in thread)
https://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=24210.msg173445#msg173445
/Hans S

RonDwyer

Re: Power Steering belt adjustment - Has this part been bent?
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2017, 01:00:30 »
Adjuster bolt, likely threads corroded over the years.  They always break due to the nut trying to travel on dirty threads.  The adjusting flange is also bent, try to get a crescent wrench on it and bend it back.  Many folks dont take the time to learn about loosening the 3 main bolts and just start cranking on that poor little tensioner.  Get a new one, 2 new nuts and a washer.  It looks like a bolt with a washer welded to the end. Classic center item, new one with living in the garage should be good for 50 years!   ;D

I just had my 69 280SE torn apart. My steering is very tight, might be looking at a king pin job.