Author Topic: Cadmium plating List or Chart.  (Read 11983 times)

Tomnistuff

• Gold
  • Canada, Qc, Levis
Re: Cadmium plating List or Chart.
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2017, 16:33:04 »
I found that one problem I had identifying parts during my restoration is when, at one point, I lost my discipline and did not fill out the detailed measurements in my spreadsheet for about one and a half pages.  Knowing what I removed was not enough.  I needed the measurements also.  Example:  I could figure out from the EPC that a screw was supposed to be M6, but how long?  Several times I found that I had used a screw that was supposed to be used somewhere else, with a length difference between the screws of only 3 or 4 millimeters.  I had to remove a screw to use elsewhere because the only ones I had left were too short.  Discipline is really important.

I also found that, although I had taken hundreds of photos of the car before disassembly, it wasn't enough.  I should have taken more closeup photos DURING disassembly.

In addition, when I got my parts back from plating, I tried to sort them into the batches that I originally photographed each time a large sheet of paper was filled up with removed parts.  Because I had not adequately identified in enough detail the individual parts, I was only about 80% successful.  It's not bad, but 20% of 1600 parts is still 320 parts to figure out where they go and which one to use for what.

Don't forget the many, many parts that have to be thrown away and bought new, like the sealing washers and gaskets, and even parts that are damaged during removal.  If I had it to do over, I would have kept them, photographed them, measured them, identified where they go and identified them as parts to be bought.

But, all in all, I am satisfied with the parts tracking system that I used and am still using.  If I did it again, I think the next time it would be perfect.

Oh well, life goes on.

Tom Kizer
Apparently late 1966 230SL 4-spd manual (Italian Version)
Owned since 1987 and wrapping up a full rotisserie restoration/modernization.
Was: Papyrus White 717G with Turquoise MBtex 112 and Kinderseat
Is: Dark Blue 332G with Dark Blue Leather (5300, I think)

rbouch8828

• Silver
  • USA, MA, Framingham
  • 280SL Mfg date AUG 1969
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2017, 18:34:10 »
Hi Tom,

With regard to the 20% of parts that you ended up with, were you sending out the parts in "Batches" that corresponded to the pictures, or did the parts get consolidated into one group when they were sent out?

Also, as you removed parts, how did you determine which parts required CAD Yellow, etc. and how did you find the part numbers for ordering replacements?
Kind regards,
Roland
RB

Tomnistuff

• Gold
  • Canada, Qc, Levis
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2017, 20:51:35 »
I did the batch photos and the spreadsheet pages simultaneously as I disassembled the car.  When a photo and it's corresponding spreadsheet page(s) were finished, I dumped the parts all together in a bucket for cleaning (I didn't clean enough to get really good CAD results.

After about 13 photo batches and 15 spreadsheet pages, I cleaned them and sent them (about 1600 parts of all types and sizes) to DeTray Plating in Missouri.

When they came back in many miscellaneous bags in boxes, I started sorting them and trying to bag them in one large baggie per batch, using the batch photos and the spreadsheets.  That's where the 20% of unidentifiable/unsortable parts showed up.

Buying parts to replace those broken or too badly damaged/rusted to CAD plate and reuse was done by identifying what to buy as I removed them from the car, using the EPC.  There are several places to get access to the EPC. Since I'm not making a show car, I pretty much CAD plated everything under the hood based on photos of restored and Pagoda group member cars.

I figured I could paint anything that was supposed to be black.  I bought a lot of stainless steel fasteners to replace rusted ones and had them CAD plated with all the others, although one has to keep them separate and identify them to the plater.  He treats them differently in the CAD process.

Keep the questions coming.

Tom  Kizer

rbouch8828

• Silver
  • USA, MA, Framingham
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2017, 15:07:03 »
In another post, I am asking about the Brake Booster. I removed mine and there are parts of it that are supposed to have CAD coating while the main housing is black paint. What did you do with yours?

Oh, and forgive my lack of knowledge, but what is the "EPC"?
RB

Tomnistuff

• Gold
  • Canada, Qc, Levis
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2017, 16:16:39 »
Since I really didn't consider that I had the knowledge, equipment, experience or talent to restore something that my and my wife's lives depended on, I packed the brake booster up and sent it to Power Brake Exchange in California.  They rebuilt it and sent it back, and I put a new rebuilt master cylinder on it.

The EPC is the Mercedes Benz Electronic Parts Catalog.  It identifies all the parts of their cars by part number, even the evolution of the parts, by car VIN, as they were updated and redesigned over the years of their production.  It used to be free to those in the U.S, but not any more, I think.

When you look at the SLS parts web site, they have an equivalent and somewhere on their site (I can't find it now) they even have a printable version in their online catalog, but they use their own part numbers.  Many of the Pagoda Parts sellers have an equivalent.  There is also access to the EPC through a Russian web site, but I didn't find it too helpful.  You should be able to find a useful version by searching this site.  I had free access to the "real" one but M-B removed my access.  I don't know why.

Tom K.

wwheeler

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • USA, TX, Dallas
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2017, 19:19:23 »
Here is an alternative to the EPC and free. I got it from a post on here somewhere.

https://nemiga.com/cat_spares/epc/mercedes/1/113/
Wallace
Texas
'68 280SE W111 coupe
'60 220SE W128 coupe
'70 Plymouth Roadrunner 440+6

getsmart

• Silver
  • Australia, Victoria, Dromana
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2017, 01:44:05 »
Tom I shudder to think how I'm going to put my Pagoda back together considering I bought it already disassembled  :(

Enjoy your posts,

Reds, Joe
Finding the red car
1964 230sl Restoration Project

Tomnistuff

• Gold
  • Canada, Qc, Levis
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2017, 14:58:28 »
Hi, Joe,

Just stay on the site and ask lots of questions.  We've got thousands of photos and people on this site with tons of expertise.  I ask lots of questions and almost always get great answers.

Good luck with yours.

Tom Kizer
Levis, Quebec, Canada

rbouch8828

• Silver
  • USA, MA, Framingham
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2017, 22:34:20 »
Tom,

Thank you very much! I will follow suit with my brake booster.

The parts info will be of great help.

I have now removed the air filter housing, battery, and radiator/oil cooler. Plus I removed the front grill.

Next, I will turn to removing the fuel injection lines.

Thanks again,
Roland
RB

rbouch8828

• Silver
  • USA, MA, Framingham
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2017, 22:38:17 »
Wallace,

Thank you very much. This looks like it will be a great help.

Kind regards,
Roland
RB