Author Topic: Motor mounts SL v. SE  (Read 2189 times)

Tom in seattle

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • USA, WA, Shoreline
Motor mounts SL v. SE
« on: June 13, 2017, 05:50:37 »
I want o clarify my understanding.  I have A 67 250 SL which has a 250 SE motor.  All is well until I got the craven notion to replace the motor mounts and ordered new mounts for the SL.  They are taller than the ones I removed by about 5/8 " and raises the motor about 3/4 " higher than with the mounts I removed.  Now I understand why there is a repairable dimple in the hood from prior to my ownership.  Being an expedient I took my power hack saw to the new mounts and cut them down in size to the ones I removed and now everything is back in alignment.  I believe this difference in height of motor is because when the SE motor was swapped in, the support arms were retained from the SE instead of replacing with the SL originals.  My question is this: if I were to have ordered SE motor mounts, would they have been thinner as were the ones removed from my car?
Tom Averill
1967 250 SL Auto Euro Spec

DaveB

• Gold
  • Australia, Western Australia, Lathlain
Re: Motor mounts SL v. SE
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 09:36:23 »
I think the rubber mounts are all the same. Your old ones may have collapsed a little, that's common. Yes, the SE & SL arms are different, the SL arms being lower.
DaveB
'65 US 230sl 4-speed, DB190

cabrioletturbo

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • Canada, Ontario, Ottawa
Re: Motor mounts SL v. SE
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 15:12:02 »
The rubber mounts are the same. There is a height difference with new ones however.
The alu brackets are different. The SL ones usually have the stamping on them stating so (127/129/130; 230SL, 280SL). Those will work on your pagoda and the other ones (SE, stamping 180) would not. If your existing brackets are not stamped for 230/250/280SL, you will need to replace.

I believe I have a spare SL set (left, right) of brackets, should you need them. Contact me via PM for price/details.

There may be other issues affecting the ding in the hood: week subframe mounts, collapsed transmission mount (causes engine to tilt upwards).
Observe that your engine should sit relatively plumb/horizontal when all the mounts are in order. Watch for hood latch mechanism below the windshield - if the engine is not horizontal, it may cause the damage to the bracket and the latch mechanism. Mine got broken due to the same issue with mounts.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 15:19:31 by cabrioletturbo »
Igor
1965 W113 230SL, Ivory with Black