Author Topic: Kuhlmeister Blower Motor Resistor  (Read 3849 times)

vande17941

• Senior
  • USA, CA, Irvine
Kuhlmeister Blower Motor Resistor
« on: July 14, 2017, 10:11:32 »
Hey....my Kuhlmeister decided to only run on the high fan setting, but the compressor is activating fine.

Does that sound like a blower motor resistor?

And

Where in the world will I get a blower motor resistor for that thing and how do I install it?

Thanks!
'66 USA (1967 model Year) 230sl, 4-speed Manual, Driven Like a Real Car! Set up with KYB Stiffer Shocks, and Motor Mounts w Urethane Inserts Underneath, 3-point Belts, Headrests Installed 🚗

1986 560sl Cabernet & Palomino (not recommended)

2001 SLK320 Sport AMG Silver & Black

vande17941

• Senior
  • USA, CA, Irvine
Re: Kuhlmeister Blower Motor Resistor
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2017, 00:20:48 »
Update. I've Been Told that the frigiking and kuhlmeister air conditioning units did not have blower motor control resistors. Instead they had three hot wires  going into the motor each connected to the switch at full 12 volts with each wire supplying a different fan speed. Does anybody have a fan speed switch from a kuhlmeister or know of anywhere to get one or a replacement?
'66 USA (1967 model Year) 230sl, 4-speed Manual, Driven Like a Real Car! Set up with KYB Stiffer Shocks, and Motor Mounts w Urethane Inserts Underneath, 3-point Belts, Headrests Installed 🚗

vande17941

• Senior
  • USA, CA, Irvine
NEW QUESTION Kuhlmeister Blower Motor Resistor
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2017, 16:44:54 »
does anyone here know how these ac fan motors operate? The have three positive input wires.

It appears that when one input wire receives current from the switch the fan is on high, two wires receiving current and the fan is on medium, and three wires receiving input results  in the the low speed fan setting? This appears opposite of what I would suspect. 

Any info or input would be greatly appreciated as it appears my motor is only operating on high and I would like to know how the motor operates based on its positive input wires

vande17941

• Senior
  • USA, CA, Irvine
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2017, 08:57:27 »
Anyone? Hello?

Rhinkel

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2017, 14:47:13 »
I have the frigidair system which is similar. I had my motor rewired locally and was told it is three speed too, not a resistance switch. I see you are local? I've got an extra switch and motor that is disassembled to look at if you care to.  PM me, Rob

vande17941

• Senior
  • USA, CA, Irvine
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2017, 02:34:04 »
Thanks. I figured it out. The switch is very interesting... When set to low, one terminal is hot. When set to medium two terminals are hot, when set to High three terminals are hot.

However, the motor has three positive input wires. One wire is low, the other wire is medium, and the other wire is high. What is interesting, is that on high, all three wires are actually charged even though they don't need to be. And on medium, two of the wires are actually charged even though they don't need to be.

The problem with my motor was that the low and medium was no longer working. Replacing the motor in the back of the unit without disconnecting the refrigerant hoses was a real pain but I did not want to have to evacuate the system and recharge.