Author Topic: Wheel Alignment Bliss  (Read 3435 times)

mmizesko

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Gold
  • USA, OH, New Albany
Wheel Alignment Bliss
« on: July 06, 2017, 17:16:49 »
After having Joe do some front end work replacing Kingpins, and related connecting components, I had a thorough wheel alignment done (almost 2 hours).  What a difference.  I had a clear Toe-in problem which led me to do the kingpin work, but I didn't realize how much better the car rolls without fighting the toe problem.  My primary symptom was my front right tire was wearing quite a bit on the inside of the tread.

So folks, remember to get a good wheel alignment.  It is extremely noticeable.

Mike Mizesko
Columbus, OH
1970 280SL 291H Dark Olive

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
Re: Wheel Alignment Bliss
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2017, 07:10:34 »
  That should make your trip to Virginia a lot more enjoyable!

Happy Motoring!
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

mmizesko

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Gold
  • USA, OH, New Albany
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 14:44:29 »
Just had all four wheels rebalanced.  Makes a huge difference. Car rides like a dream.

Now to clean up the car, Bleche White the Whitewalls, Scrub the soft top, Buff it out for the Arthritis Show next weekend.

Next Stop.  Re-do the engine bay next year....

Mike
1970 280SL 291H Dark Olive

chumps

• Senior
  • USA, CA, Santa Rosa Valley
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2017, 22:43:42 »
Mentioning kingpins - I did as Dan suggested a couple of ago to check the play in my kingpins. I held the wheel at 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock while car was lifted Tried to rock it back and forth vertically. I tightened the wheel bearings to eliminate them. I could feel very, very little play almost nonexistent. The car does get lubed, although I'm not 100% sure that all of the zerk fittings are working. Could I assume that the kingpins do not need to be replaced yet? Replacing kingpins is a lot of work for a home garage mechanic if it is not needed. I only got concerned because when I back out of my driveway into the street I hear a small noise in the left front. It is only there if the wheel is turned sharply to the left. Any input would be appreciated. Thank you, Chumps   

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2017, 05:20:51 »
I suggest you only turn to the right from now on - you will find your way home eventually.  :) :)

I  check front ends for king pin and bearing play as you describe. Check for play and if you feel any movement grease the king pin first. If the play goes away, it's the king pin. If it doesn't go away, it's more likely a loose wheel bearing. To check the upper and lower pivots, the lower control arm would need to be lifted to remove any weight bearing load from the front side of the car you're working on. Lift your car on the sub frame to check from king pin and wheel bearing play and under the control arm while looking at pivot wear. Inner pivots are harder to check but they tend not to wear as quickly since there's less suspension movement in that area. Having the fittings take grease should be your main concern at all times.

I replace the upper and lower pivots when I do king pins because most of the time they will be worn out too or seized up. King pins are now only sold in sets so don't be surprised by the price. You can safely do everything with the front of the car on jack stands and you can remove everything except the lower control arms. Leave the front shocks in place - this is your safety net!

It's imperative that you be able to see grease come out of the joints between parts while lubing your front end or something could be plugged or seized. Metric grease fitting are slightly smaller than SAE and any wear on your grease gun nozzle will likely result in a big mess. I keep a separate gun around with a new nozzle so it holds better for this job.
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

chumps

• Senior
  • USA, CA, Santa Rosa Valley
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2017, 14:16:22 »
Dan: Thank you for your reply. I'll do a more thorough inspection this weekend. Chumps

stickandrudderman

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Richmond
    • http://www.colinferns.com
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2017, 20:07:13 »
Be aware that the castor angle is different for with/without PAS.

AllenF

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2017, 03:54:24 »
Hi Folks,

How is caster adjusted on these?  My alignment guy was stumped, and I am out of spec.   Very eager to drive the car after restoration but the front end doesn't feel quite right.

Thanks,

Allen