Author Topic: Replacing Seat Springs  (Read 2905 times)

250SLFranco

• Associate Member
  • Regular
  • USA, OR, Portland
Replacing Seat Springs
« on: August 20, 2017, 22:20:08 »
Does anyone have experience to share in replacing the driver and passenger seat springs?  Specifically working with the clip the holds the springs to the seat frame....is there a tool for this job?  Love to hear how you worked with this.  I first did a review of the technical manual and there does not seem to be a discussion on the replacement of seat springs.
Thank you,
250SL Franco

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Re: Replacing Seat Springs
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2017, 15:42:30 »
Hi Franco,

I *wish" I would have taken some photos of my seat surgery back in 2011, but alas I did not.

The seat construction, in a nutshell, consists of several items. First you have the seat covering, (tex or leather); the backing; the horsehair pad, the frame, and two kinds of springs. Of course there's mounting and sliding hardware as well. Once you start taking things apart, if you are at all mechanically inclined it all becomes rather obvious.

The first kind of spring you'll find is a fairly common "S Spring"; the second kind are flat bar springs.

Once you get everything apart and take a look, you'll see how all these parts fit and work together. I believe the ends of the S springs are welded to the frame. You may have a case (particularly on the well used driver's seat) where either the spring is broken, or a weld has broken. I suppose in a pure and perfect restoration, you'd want to remove the old and broken and replace with new. An alternative here, easy for most is to "siamese" new spring material onto the old. Instead of welding, you can use a variety of hog rings and crimps (with the appropriate tools) to secure the new springs. The flat springs will not be readily available at upholstery supply houses, as these are sort of custom for the seat.

With the hope of firming up my seat, I took apart the driver's seat.  I obtained thicker and more robust S spring material and not only did I siamese this new material on all the springs, I also added two more loops.  I added rings and crimps all over the place, significantly firming up all the springing action. However, even after all this, what happened when I sat on the seat springs (with the horsehair pad in place) is that the front of the seat bottomed out, just as it did prior.

That's when I added the foam aka "pool noodle" to the front of the seat and along the sides, which prevented the seat from bottoming out, and significantly damped the springiness of the seat.

I wish I had the photos...but alas, I do not.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid
2024 Ford Mustang Mach Ex PEV

250SLFranco

• Associate Member
  • Regular
  • USA, OR, Portland
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2017, 17:54:36 »
Good feedback mdslemi!  I have been considering replacing the horsehair cushion with something BudzBenz has at $300+ each.
Didnt want to do that if I didnt have to.  On the drivers side most of the springs were broken.  So it looks like replacing the cushion while I am replacing the springs.  Thanks again.
250SL Franco

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2017, 20:53:17 »
If you buy new "horsehair" cushion get them from Mercedes or Classic Center, price is similar.
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)