Author Topic: Automatic kickdown  (Read 5699 times)

n/a

Automatic kickdown
« on: April 30, 2003, 00:50:02 »
G'day everyone
I have some questions about the auto kickdown on my 230 SL. Having never driven another 113 or a car with a fluid coupling gearbox I'm a little uncertain about what is normal. To begin with, although the car naturally takes off in second, should it kickdown to first from a standstill if you push the accelerator hard? Mine is very relucant to do this, nor will it take off in first on a steep incline unless I shift it down manually. Occasionally, it shifts straight into top from second. Otherwise, although it is reluctant to kickdown from top into third and a bit jerky at times, the transmission performs quite well. I have altered my driving style (ie. shifting by hand) to accommodate to the transmission's characteristics. Overall I've found that the harder I drive the car, the smoother it is.
Thanks
Mark

1965 230 SL

hands_aus

• Platinum
  • Australia, Queensland, Brisbane
Re: Automatic kickdown
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2003, 06:44:23 »
Hello Mark,
You should join the yahoo site. There is a huge amount of technical info about auto transmissions on that site. You just have to search for it.
The info has not made its way to this site yet.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/W113

One thing I do when I see some relevant info (no matter where i see it) is to copy it to my hard drive for later reference.
You would be amazed how much of a library you will create.
Everything you read about our cars is relevant.

Do you own a Haynes manual and also a Mercedes Service manual yet?

I think the Haynes is comprehensive because it has the wiring diagram.

Bob(Brisbane,Australia)
Bob Smith (Brisbane,Australia)
RHD,1967 early 250 SL #114, auto, ps , 717,717
best of the best

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2003, 09:08:14 »
Whenever I press the gas pedal briskly from standstill, the transmission will immediately short into first (rather than starting out in second). So when I want to get a move on, it responds very well. Also in higher gears (like fourth), getting it to kick-down is relatively easy, and not too much so. It is probably all related to the linkage settings and the proper operation of the 3-position solenoid. Bob is correct, there is a lot of info on the Yahoo site still to be migrated, and I'm working on it! Below is some of the information I have accumulated on the automatic transmission not yet "loaded onto" our site:

"I'm wondering about a switch type device on the right side of the throttle venturi area. There are no wires attached to it nor is there a wire harness near it. Should this be here on a July 64 230SL? Doesnt seem to affect starting or running. Could it be a newer version ?

Tom Sargeant says: sounds like you may have a newer air intake manifold that has a idle throttle switch. This switch affects transmission pressure (among other items) when working properly, at least on an automatic. Mine went bad and when I replaced that switch, my severe "clunk" when coming to a stop was eliminated-it activated the transmission pressure switch.

No switch required on earlier cars with Manual transmission. There should be a cover over the area where the switch would normally go.

It sounds like you're on the right track for the hard downshifting. Make sure the transmission three position solenoid is actually moving the linkage on the transmission all the way to position one when the accelerator is closed. If not then re-check the workings of the accelerator linkage and venturi switch. Take a passenger for a test drive to observe the system working through the opening in the tunnel. As last resort the control pressure linkage on the transmission (between the three position solenoid and the modulator can be adjusted. (make sure  everything else is correct first). Since your kickdown is now working, your probably on the right track. Just doublecheck yourself. Some additional and more unusual things to check: Tom found that his linkage had been bent. Also there is a modulator diaphram that can fail and cause shifting problems also. If this happens the car usually puts out some white smoke and spark plug cylinder #6 will foul out from transmission fluid getting sucked up the vacume line going from the modulator to the intake manifold. This diaphram can be changed from under the car without removal of the transmission."
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

n/a

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2003, 17:55:12 »
Thanks Bob and Cees
You've given me something to go on with. To be honest, I did find it a bit strange that the transmission wasn't more responsive, especially for a sports car. If you shift through the gears manually it is certainly no slouch however, leave it in drive and it is far more leisurely.
Mark

1965 230 SL