Author Topic: Removing Locking Fuel Cap Mechanism  (Read 11581 times)

hands_aus

• Platinum
  • Australia, Queensland, Brisbane
Removing Locking Fuel Cap Mechanism
« on: December 12, 2004, 05:08:05 »
I have a good second hand MB locking fuel cap from a “sedan”, so it is NOT chromed at this stage.

How do I get the tumbler mechanism off the body to have it re-keyed to suit my car and also have the free spinning collar chromed?

I have removed the spring, spring collar etc.

I will replace the cork seal at the same time.

See attached pics.

Download Attachment: LockFuelCap_2TextAdded.JPG
18.52 KB

Download Attachment: LockFuelCap_5TextAdded.JPG
16.9 KB

Download Attachment: LockFuelCap_6.JPG
34.08 KB

Bob Smith (Brisbane,Australia)
RHD,1967 early 250 SL, auto
RHD,1967 early 250 SL #114, auto, ps , 717,717
best of the best

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Re: Removing Locking Fuel Cap Mechanism
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2004, 09:07:16 »
Bob,

I got a chrome cap from our friend Walter Klatt a couple of years ago in a trade; I tried to have mine re-keyed and took it to 2 good locksmiths.  After looking at it they both decided that it is unlikely to be able to get it apart without damage.

Also note that the back of your gas cap does not really look like the "correct" one for a 113; I don't know if that means anything but I thought I'd let you know.  If it fits tight and is unvented, it is probably OK.

As you know by now from reading other posts, chrome plating is an expensive proposition; you'd likely spend quite a bit, probably at least 30% or more of the price of a new cap, just getting yours chromed.  Might be somewhat less if you have a "load" of items to be plated.  One off, you are going to pay--minimum order deal.

Bottom line is, if you are able to get it all apart, find all the right parts to re-key it (with or without a locksmith's help), be able to get the outer part chromed, then get it all back together working properly and keyed properly, your investment in time and money might be very close to getting a new correct one, or just finding a correct used one on eBay or elsewhere.

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Signal Red w/Black Leather
Restored
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

hands_aus

• Platinum
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2004, 20:53:12 »
Michael

I will take your advice and think long and hard before doing anything.

Thanks

best of the best

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2004, 22:58:00 »
Bob - you might try emailing Achim because I am fairly sure I saw him take one of these locking caps apart at the first tech session at Joe and Mary Alexander's in 2002. His "handle" on the forum is '114015'.

Good luck,

Cees Klumper in Amsterdam
'69 white 280 SL automatic
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

hands_aus

• Platinum
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2004, 05:02:37 »
Thanks Cees

It will be interesting to see what he says.

best of the best

pagode.info

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2004, 23:58:33 »
I agree to Michael Salemi`s statement.

If it`s the wrong part, without key
and also in need to be re-chromed...

I would not spend any time on it.

Good Luck,

Tom

www.pagode.info

• Platinum
  • Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Tecklenburg
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2004, 16:09:30 »
Hello Bob,

I am not going to help you or anybody else. Otherwise you can repair the cap at low cost and I won't find any good one on ebay or so anymore ... ;)

Of course, I am kidding. :)
As the others already mentioned, it'll be no cheap operation. Finding a good and reasonable plating service (perhaps in Mexico) will be the biggest burden.
The others are also right, you have found the absolute correct YMOS gas cap. The other gas caps (HUF) won't work, they cannot be disassembled. :|

On your 2nd picture with removed cork gasket, you can see one of the two little holes. Underneath one of it it a little metal plate which needs to be moved to one side with a stiff needle or sharp nail. Then you can pull off the upper non-chromed cap from the heavy main lower body which goes into the fuel-filler neck. Everything else will be straight forward.
The best is to dissassemble the gas-cap unit in a large cardboard box or pan so that you won't loose any of the little parts.

Then you need to remove one retaining ring/spring in order to remove the lock cylinder.
I am sorry, currently I don't see a possibility to get your gas-cap cylinder re-keyed . For this you need the original YMOS parts (cylinder and locking plates) together with the correct key. The latter is easy but the original YMOS parts are nowhere available - at least I am not aware of and they are not factory-avaible at VALEO in Heiligenhaus/Germany, the mother company of (former) YMOS, either.

As to your outer cap ("free-spin collar"), there have long, long been some ebay offers in Germany (www.ebay.de) which just offered that part: brand new and chrome-plated. The guy I bought mine from claimed these would be original DaimlerChrysler parts sold in the 60ies. But I doubt this being true. I have never heard from that claim before, no MB info anywhere on that. I rather believe these are more recent Eastern European reproductions. But they look damned good. I paid 25 Euros for each. Maybe you might be able to find the one or other still offered on ebay.

Anyway, good luck to your "surgery"

All the best,

Achim

Achim
(Magdeburg, Germany)
Achim
(Germany)

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2004, 11:30:14 »
While on the subject of fuel caps, I have always wondered why mine is different than most. I know the chrome version has been called the official 113 cap. Looking at Bob's 114 version, I see mine is still quite different. -- just wondered if anyone has seen my style before?

Download Attachment: 63gascap.jpg
57.64 KB

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

hands_aus

• Platinum
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2004, 05:13:37 »
Hello Achim,
Thanks for your reply. It is most encouraging.
I found that little hole and removed the collar quite easily.

I think I will lurk on eBay.de and look for those chromed covers.

Given your comments about the availability of Ymos lock componets, I think I will learn to live with the key I have.
As it is I have 4 keys for the car including one for the Kmart chromed fuel cap on there at the moment.
Joe Alexander did an expose on keys and lock componets at one time. Maybe one day when I get my finances and my act together I will discuss it with him at a Blacklick Tech session.

best of the best

• Platinum
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2004, 14:08:44 »
Hello James,

Yours looks like a 114 (& 115) gas cap.
What kind of key do you have for that one?
It's certainly not the same as for the doors
(T = Tueren und Tank, doors and fuel filler cap).

Best,

Achim
(Magdeburg, Germany)
Achim
(Germany)

• Platinum
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2004, 14:19:44 »
Hello Bob,

It's also encouraging to hear your comments and experiences.
The only possibility I know to get the keys for doors and gas cap matching is to have three locks on hand or to have another matching set. Untill a few years back it was possible to order a new gas cap from DaimlerChrysler with your desired (data card-) key number but it had already gotten hard to get such a cap even in 1998.
Unfortunately I don't know another possibility. Maybe Joe knowns more about it.

By the way, the disassembly of the fuel caps is very nicely described in the big blue book (group 47 - tank) but they say basically the same about the locks.
If you want to search for a chromed collar for the gas cap, try to use the German ebay website (www.ebay.de) and look for "pagod*" (= pagoda) or "Tankdeckel" or "verchromter Tankdeckel". It has been a few months since I spotted the last on ebay.
They're also currently offering complete gas caps for around $ 85 (or Euros). Those are similar to the original ones but they're misssing the Mercedes star and thus, are useless for the real conoisseur - only parts donors.
 ;)

Best

Achim
(Magdeburg, Germany)
Achim
(Germany)

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2004, 19:03:26 »
Hi Achim.

I was hopeful it was "an very early" thing... The original key is a large rubber handled two sided Ymos. No, it does not even come close to the door keys.

The main difference I see from 113 caps is lack of chrome and grippy wings to turn. Thanks.

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

• Platinum
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2004, 16:31:07 »
Hello James,

unfortunately not, I am sorry. Yours looks exactly like mine which I got for the 114 sedan. The key you describe is a typical 114/115/108/late 113 key - just a /8-key.

Very early 230ies had exactly the same fuel filler cap as the others, I have an example for that, it's the 000 471 20 30 which is still available from new. Only late 280ies (from VIN 10000 something) have a slightly different lock (but only lock) because they have one key-for-all. These cars have the same key like yours.

Don't feel sad about it; you have a nice one from MB. Definitely better than one of these uggly chromed or non-chromed aftermarket parts. And still, yours looks very classic with the bare metal surface. If I were you, I would keep it.

All the best,

Achim
(fuel filler cap collector)

Achim
(Magdeburg, Germany)
Achim
(Germany)

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2004, 10:15:53 »
Thanks Achim.

I plan to keep it -- I actually like the way it matches my aluminum license plate strips. Still good to know it's not original. This is just another example of the mystery that surrounds cars with a lack of previous history. Good news is most of my car has proven to be original (unless updated by me).

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

TheEngineer

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, West Seattle, WA
  • '69 280SL,Signal Red,
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2004, 10:57:29 »
Can someone please tell me where this gas cap of mine - shown in the attached photograph - came from? Is it maybe original? It is marked "Huf" and "ohne Lüftung" on the inside.

Download Attachment: GasCap.JPG
84.34 KB

'69 280SL,Signal Red,007537,tired engineer, West-Seattle, WA
« Last Edit: December 26, 2004, 14:00:47 by theengineer »
'69 280SL,Signal Red, 09 cam, License BB-59U
'67 230SL, 113042-10-017463 (sld)
'50 Jaguar Roadster XK120, #670.318 (sld)
tired engineer, West-Seattle,WA

A Dalton

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2004, 12:56:26 »
Engineer,
Yours looks original, but the finish is very bad.  I don't know if your chrome is gone or if it originally had a matte finish.  Does your cap spin freely after being locked?

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL auto "Italian"

TheEngineer

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, West Seattle, WA
  • '69 280SL,Signal Red,
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2004, 20:09:32 »
quote:
Originally posted by rwmastel

Engineer,
Yours looks original, but the finish is very bad.  I don't know if your chrome is gone or if it originally had a matte finish.  Does your cap spin freely after being locked?

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420

Yes, when locked the top spins freely. I have since painted it, using aluminum paint, but it appears that it was never chrome plated. The key for it, and there was only one, is marked "Huf" and has the MB top. It is not the same key that fits the doors. Those locks have been replaced to match the ignition key. Like someone said: When it is an old car, it's history is often unkown. Thanks for your help.
'69 280SL,Signal Red, 09 cam, License BB-59U
'67 230SL, 113042-10-017463 (sld)
'50 Jaguar Roadster XK120, #670.318 (sld)
tired engineer, West-Seattle,WA

• Platinum
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2005, 15:55:36 »
Hello Theenginneer,

Your fuel filler cap looks nice but isn't original too but one from a sedan. Arthur's is correct.
The owner's manual shows how the key should look like.
The YMOS (chromed) is original, all others not.

I am sorry to say so ... Never mind.

All the best,

Achim

Achim
(Magdeburg, Germany)
Achim
(Germany)

TR

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2005, 20:50:48 »
Hi Bob -- I'm sorry to report that I tried to have my fuel cap re-keyed also.  But the local locksmith that handles things for Mercedes also declined.  So I just got a new replacement; of course the ignition and gas cap now require different keys.

Tom in Boise

P.S.  My wife and I had the pleasure of living in Australia for a while...we loved it!  You folks have some of the best Twany Ports in the world (amoung other things)

hands_aus

• Platinum
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2005, 05:51:55 »
Hey Tom,

If you have enough tawny ports under your belt you don't have any cares in the world.

I think I might have to just bide my time on this one. It is not really urgent.

I see new ones for sale on eBay regularly. It is the USD exchange rate that puts me off.
However it is a lot better than the Euro or the Pound.

What part of Oz did you live in? I am in Brisbane with all the summer humidity and 35C at the moment.

best of the best