Author Topic: ? re. wiring in the trunk/boot  (Read 2359 times)

Douglas

? re. wiring in the trunk/boot
« on: January 04, 2005, 00:24:26 »
How should the wiring on the deck lid in the trunk be routed once it exits the lid? Should it  be routed behind the arm or in front of it?

I would think that the wiring would look better behind the arm as it would be more hidden. Here's a photo of an SL that has the wire in front:

Download Attachment: trunk.jpg
12.99 KB

How did it come when it left the factory?

Douglas Kim
New York, NY
280 SL #016220

hands_aus

• Platinum
  • Australia, Queensland, Brisbane
Re: ? re. wiring in the trunk/boot
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2005, 03:58:41 »
Hey Douglas,

I think it is in front as shown.

There was a break in the wiring of my car so I took advatange of it to install a 2 pin plug and socket.
I went to a German wrecker and bought a wiring harness (from a later MB car) that was the same as the 250sl.
I installed the plug and top and screwed the female part to the upright support using an existing screw hole.
Also I installed new cable clips in the boot lid to reduce noises in the car.
I know it is not original but I have used Mb parts and it does look good.

Bob Smith (Brisbane,Australia)
RHD,1967 early 250 SL, auto
« Last Edit: January 04, 2005, 04:00:03 by hands_aus »
Bob Smith (Brisbane,Australia)
RHD,1967 early 250 SL #114, auto, ps , 717,717
best of the best

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
Re: ? re. wiring in the trunk/boot
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2005, 15:46:41 »
That looks to be the way mine is run, too, although mine is clipped to the other side of the hinge.  The picture is a bit small, so I couldn't clearly see with what it is clipped to the hinge on your car.  Mine is held by a small metal clip.  That particular wire is subject to a great deal of flexing and bending as the deck lid is opened and closed over the years.  Mine had broken, too, and I found upon dissection that the original wire sheathing had hardened and cracked.  I spliced in a section of a more modern and flexible wire and then recovered it with the original cloth wrapping.  The trunk light only lights up on my 1966 230SL when the trunk is open and at least the parking lights are switched on.

- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havanna Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)