Author Topic: convertible top chrome strip  (Read 4323 times)

beachbear

• Regular
  • USA, HI, Kailua
convertible top chrome strip
« on: February 18, 2018, 00:21:55 »
I'm beginning to contemplate replacing my soft top. The window is still pretty clear, but the tubes that the framer us through are beginning to suffer from dry rot and the starboard side has a hole worn through from chafing against the frame while stowed. When I shop for replacements and look for recommendations, none of the tops shown have the chrome strip running across outside and above the window like mine. I assumed it was a stock element of the top. It appears to be screwed and nailed (nails seem to extend attached to the strip) to a wood support enclosed by fabric and part o0f the frame. This top was made by an upholstery shop about 20 years ago. If I were to buy one from Budsbenz or elsewhere, would I take it to an upholsterer to be fitted?
David White
'69 280sl automatic, 3rd owner since '82

Jordan

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Jordan
Re: convertible top chrome strip
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2018, 12:40:49 »
Beachbear, I cannot comment on fitting a new top as I have not done one myself yet.  Some have refit the top themselves with good results while others have taken it to an experienced upholsterer (make sure they have done them before).  Depends on how handy you are if you want to tackle it yourself.

Someone can correct me if I am wrong but I believe the chrome strip on the soft top was only found on earlier 230SL's.
Marcus
66 230SL  Euro 4 speed

Jordan

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Jordan
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2018, 15:11:49 »
I know it is somewhere on this site but it was faster for me to just look it up (in Pagoda Notes as well).  The chrome strip was changed/removed from the soft top on 7 February, 1964, at VIN 002175.  The fabric deflector wires and wire fastening were also changed at that time.
Marcus
66 230SL  Euro 4 speed

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2018, 18:26:19 »
Marcus, sorry,that is not correct.
The chrome bar disappeared after VIN 007461 but a few earlier ones were also manufactured without the bar:
https://www.sl113.org/wiki/Tops/SoftTop

Beachbear, originally the fabric under the bar was not contiguous but had a slit for the installation. If you order a top now you need to specify that and not all manufacturers will do that. Last year I bought a top for my 1964 230SL from GAT and the owner did provide the correct one. Also your installer needs to know how to fit them correctly. If done wrong the bar can end up on the wrong spot!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 18:35:03 by 66andBlue »
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

paults1

• Senior
  • USA, FL, The Villages
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2018, 18:58:26 »
I had Gernold at SL Tech replace the cloth top, he used the original chrome strip from my old top. Regards, Paul, early '63 230SL

beachbear

• Regular
  • USA, HI, Kailua
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2018, 19:31:20 »
Thank you for that link! I'm going to work on improving my search ability.
David White
'69 280sl automatic, 3rd owner since '82

Scottcorvette

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, England, Norfolk
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2018, 06:18:57 »
If you decide not to refit the chrome strip let me know and I'll buy it from you!

doitwright

• Gold
  • USA, IL, Willowbrook
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2018, 17:45:35 »
If you decide not to refit the chrome strip let me know and I'll buy it from you!

I just spotted a listing for Neu. Nagelleiste, verchromt, für Mercedes Benz Pagode "A 113 779 00 64 " on the ebay.de site
Frank Koronkiewicz
Willowbrook, Illinois

1970 280SL Originally Light Ivory - Now Anthracite Gray Metallic

Scottcorvette

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, England, Norfolk
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2018, 18:54:54 »
Ive just ordered one from Mercedes. Thanks all!

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2018, 20:42:04 »
I remember Jay Leno once saying how he was going to cast new brake drums for his 300SL when they found out Mercedes still sold them.  He sais something like Mercedes keeps alot of parts in stock but you are going to pay for them.