Author Topic: Fuel Evaporator Tank tubing  (Read 1927 times)

Kevkeller

• Silver
  • USA, HI, Honolulu
Fuel Evaporator Tank tubing
« on: March 02, 2018, 04:18:57 »
My plastic tubing from the front of the engine to the evaporator tank in the trunk has cracked and broken.  Is there a source for new line?

With this broken does it affect the engine performance?

Thank you,

Kevin
1970 280 SL

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
Re: Fuel Evaporator Tank tubing
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2018, 19:33:21 »
Ahh, Something I just went through a couple days ago.   sold by the meter.  You need 5 meters.  Cohline supplies most fuel hoses to Mercedes so probably the same as ordering it from Mercedes.  If you are going to source locally it is black Polyamide(Nylon) hose 6mm ID and 8mm OD.

https://www.belmetric.com/black-polyamide-hose-c-14_184_1153/rhpoly6-polyamide-hard-plastic-6mm-p-944.html?zenid=9lqbc4e6c84bk1rhs9s83d76m1

To install the end fittings you clamp the hose with a flaring tool about two inches from the end and knock the fitting in cold with a rubber or soft faced hammer.

If the clips between the black hose and the line next to it under the car are there they are probably pretty brittle.  You will need 16 of part 0009950068.Without them the line gets pretty saggy under the car.  Be nice to the rubber inserts(Damping strips) in the clamps under the car as the 4 hole ones are NLA(No longer available).

The hose is part of the evaporative emission system.  Rather than venting to fuel tank vapors to the outside the vapors are routed into the engine crankcase where they eventually make their way to the intake manifold and are burned up in the engine.  It isn't a big problem that it isn't connected but make sure you don't plug the end coming from the back of the car.  The tank needs to vent somewhere.  It is a good idea to plug the end coming from the engine because there is a slight risk of sucking dirt and dust directy into your engine.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 20:46:56 by Shvegel »

Kevkeller

• Silver
  • USA, HI, Honolulu
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2018, 05:37:21 »
Pat,
Beautiful. How’d you find that place?

I looked up the tube size on Amazon and found a 100 feet of nylon tube for $73.34.   I would imagine it’s the same. It’s good for fuel, is black and the size matches. I can’t figure out how to link it on here.

Is anyone interested in buying some for 73 cents a foot?  at cost. Considerably cheaper.

Thanks Pat.

Kevin

1970 280 SL

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2018, 09:24:37 »
 Belmetric is a supplier I found through a good friend who owned the shop I worked in years ago.  At that time they were literally the only game in town for a lot of the oddball metric hardware like copper plated exhaust nuts etc.  Sadly some of their hardware is now Chinese (I am sure the quality is fine but the markings on the bolt heads are a givaway that the bolts are not original) but their level of in stock and usually same day shipping has made them my go to for most metric stuff.  They are also a supplier for Timesert which I think is the best way to repair any threads that are damaged by say using a fine thread tap to clean out a coarse thread hole that you cross threaded in the first place.  Not that that has ever happened to me.