Author Topic: Paint on 280sl starting to Craze on aluminum panels  (Read 3093 times)

Intex

Paint on 280sl starting to Craze on aluminum panels
« on: April 17, 2018, 05:05:48 »
10 years ago I restored my 280sl and did a bare metal repaint. After being in storage under a car cover, no direct sunlight, I decided to have it detailed

After polishing and waxing the shinecam backon all the steel painted surfaces, but on both 5e hood and trunk lid, the paint seemed like it had faint spider webbing or crazing

Has anyone experienced this problem on these aluminum areas? The adjoining areas like fenders are perfect

Since I don’t trust that the paint shop put a thick enough clear coat on top of the paint, I am afraid of color sanding it for fear of going thru the clear

Any ideas on why this has happened or what I can do to remedy this?

The paint shop was supposed to use Glasurit paint and clear coat, but do not trust that they did

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
Re: Paint on 280sl starting to Craze on aluminum panels
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 10:04:41 »
i am guessing either the paint or primer used was not elastic enought to allow the alumunum to expand and contract without cracking the finish.  Another likely cause it that the primed didn't dry or cure correctly and the paint was floating on a layer of uncured primer.

Intex

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 16:23:37 »
Don't think it was uncured primer, as the rest of the car was painted at the exact same time, and it is fine. It must be something with the aluminum. Maybe you are right with the contraction/expansion

Need an idea how to remedy this, as repaint would be VERY difficult to match color and cost $$$

Pawel66

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Konstancin-Jeziorna
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 18:11:25 »
I think there are paint shops who scan your colour and prepare paint to match it. This stakes care of colour change over time. It usually takes several trials, but is doable.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 14:31:11 by Pawel66 »
Pawel

280SL 1970 automatic 180G Silver
W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

1967sl280red

• Associate Member
  • Junior Level
  • USA, CA, Concord
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2018, 18:49:04 »
I dont know how often this happens, but there are some types of car covers that will craze the paint. Probably there is some chemical used in the cover material, or the felt lining on the inside that affects the paint.

Intex

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2018, 19:53:17 »
Don't think it is the car cover, since it is only crazing on the aluminum panels. Maybe the contraction / expansion is greater on the aluminum panels that causes it to crack, or something they did wrong while painting?

Tyler S

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, Encinitas
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2018, 14:24:25 »
Were the hood and trunk removed when the car was painted? It is possible they were painted at a different time (hours or days) then the rest of the car and some external contaminate affected the primer or paint on those peticular planels only.
1968 (67) 250sl. 4 speed manual. DB180 Silver
1955 220 Cabriolet A. White Grey
2019 E450 Wagon. Majestic Blue
1936 Ford PU Flathead V8. Creme on tan interior.
1989 Volkswagen T3 Westfailia Campmobile. Dove Grey (blue)

George Des

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2018, 12:56:23 »
Aluminum is notorious for having paint adhesion issues if not prepared properly. I recall when I did my 230Sl several years ago there were a number of steps required to prepare the aluminum panels that were different from the steel panels. The prewash chemicals were also different. You may want to check what prep was done and what primer and primer surfacers were used prior to the top coats. It comes as a surprise to a lot of body shops not familiar with the 113s just how many aluminum panels are involved in a total respray.