Author Topic: DIY Ceramic coating exhaust manifold with Cerakote?  (Read 10194 times)

johnk

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Avon
DIY Ceramic coating exhaust manifold with Cerakote?
« on: March 21, 2018, 23:22:56 »
As I am finishing up my powder coating I started looking for someone to ceramic coat my exhaust manifolds. A local powder coating shop advertises that they provide powder coating services for HMF one of the worlds largest exhaust manufacturers. Their web site (Clevelandohiopowdercoating.com) touts using Cerakote for their ceramic coating of exhausts. I went to Cerakote's web site and saw they they advertise themselves as one of the largest producers of ceramic coating for exhaust manifolds. On the manufacturers web site is an instructional video that shows the prep and application process is very similar to what I am doing for powder coating, with the only real difference is you spray the final product on like a two stage paint rather than powder. The product used in the video does not require baking after being sprayed, but it appears another product they have does.

I am very tempted to spend the $70 bucks for 16 ounces of this product and do in it myself. Not only would the whole process take less time that just dropping off and picking up the manifolds at the powder coater but there's the satisfaction of another item I did myself.....without screwing it up. All that said I don't want to have to pull the manifolds off a few years from now to do them again. I spent a bit of time researhing reviews of Cerakote on the net compared to the traditional hot/jet coating. Most reviewers were performance minded and thought the traditional coating methods provided better heat insulation, but they didn't seem to have a concern with the longenvity of the looks which is what I am looking for.

Any input is greatly appreciated, especially from the chemically minded members that may better understand how different ceramic coatings work than a bean counter like me would.

Thanks
John
John Krystowski
Avon Ohio
1968 Euro 280sl under restoration
2016 Jag F-Type R sold june 2021
1950 Alfa Romeo 6C 2500 SS For sale
2008 E350
2007 GL 450
2019 BMW 540

wwheeler

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • USA, TX, Dallas
Re: DIY Ceramic coating exhaust manifold with Cerakote?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 23:50:20 »
I have used this coating and it is unbelievable http://swaintech.com/race-coatings/race-coating-descriptions/white-lightning-exhaust-coatings/

There is also another member here who has used as well and is very satisfied years later. Not cheap but very durable. Plus there is evidence to show that the exhaust manifolds were some shade of white from the factory. There is a thread on this site about that with pictures.
Wallace
Texas
'68 280SE W111 coupe
'60 220SE W128 coupe
'70 Plymouth Roadrunner 440+6

johnk

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Avon
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2018, 00:01:01 »
Thanks Wallace. I read where this company seems to be highly recommended. Looks like it would be about $300 bucks plus shipping if I get the rust off first. Not as fun as doing it yourself, but perhaps more reassuring that it will last. I requested color samples from Cerakote and I am afraid the colors they offer may be more light silver than white. That will be a determining factor as well.
John Krystowski
Avon Ohio
2008 E350
2007 GL 450
2019 BMW 540

wwheeler

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • USA, TX, Dallas
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2018, 04:49:14 »
There is a picture around here somewhere showing the factory assembly line where an engine is being installed in a W108. It is an old color pic, but shows the manifolds are not silver. More white than anything. Attached is a pic on my W128 manifolds before they came off. A PO did spray silver that quickly disappeared. But below that, there is clearly a white coating where the rust has not penetrated. The last attached is what they look like now with the white lighting.

May not be 100% conclusive, but good enough for me.
Wallace
Texas
'68 280SE W111 coupe
'60 220SE W128 coupe
'70 Plymouth Roadrunner 440+6

doitwright

• Gold
  • USA, IL, Willowbrook
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2018, 05:19:37 »
I will eventually get my cast iron manifolds ceramic coated. I know Motoring Investments ceramic coats the manifolds on the cars they restored and documented on their site. They claim it also reduces temps under the hood and helps preserve rubber components. I was considering also having the down pipes coated with the hopes it would reduce heat radiation into the cabin.
Frank Koronkiewicz
Willowbrook, Illinois

1970 280SL Originally Light Ivory - Now Anthracite Gray Metallic

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2018, 07:59:09 »
This is the assembly line photo I believe Wallace was referring to.  You may have to download it to zoom in to see the color of the exhaust manifolds clearly.  Also if you look closely this also solves another question I had. 

On a completly unrelated note if you download and zoom in you will notice the bolts where the rear axle attach to the control arms are painted black and not Yellow Cad.  I would guess that the axle was supplied to Mercedes as an assembly and was painted as such with the brake calipers, rotors and lines added later.  I added a second picture of the "Holy Grail" to confirm it.  You have to be a little careful when using the pictures of the Holy Grail because some have been taken after the car was "Spruced up".   The tell in the rear area is the dotology on the bottom of the rear axle goes from a big blue slash which is correct to a small blue mark which isn't.  Also the un-Spruced photos show scratches etc consistant with a car being picked up on a floor jack a time or two.

johnk

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Avon
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2018, 17:27:48 »
Thanks Gents this is all very helpful. I will pass on the do-it-yourself hope if the samples from Cerakote come back more light grey than white with a grey-ish tint. I also am open to all the help and pictures I can get on where the dots go, although I have pics of all the original ones that were still visable.
John Krystowski
Avon Ohio
2008 E350
2007 GL 450
2019 BMW 540