Author Topic: Engine cooling system work  (Read 3220 times)

Bob G ✝︎

Engine cooling system work
« on: January 19, 2005, 13:11:42 »
As I mention my 280SL not cooperating with the new found warm weather here in Los Angeles. I seem to of sprong a coolant leak that has to be tracted down, but I have been aware and prepared to resplace all the hoses and belts and purge the system with new Mercedes-Benz coolant.
Can some of you give me an average time and cost minuus  hoses , clamps and therostate. for a service like this. I am also prepared to replace the fan clutch and water pump.

Bob Geco

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, Jacksonville
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
Re: Engine cooling system work
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2005, 19:22:34 »
Does your car have air conditioning?  If so, you'll want to pull the radiator out to replace the fan clutch and water pump.  If you just want to do the hoses and flush, you're probably looking at a couple of hours.

I replaced my AC condesor, thermostat, fan clutch and water pump, stripped and painted my radiator, oil cooler, shroud, and fan, and put it back together over a weekend. Total of about 15 hours.  I don't remember how much of that time was stripping and painting but it had to be over half.  (Didn't count drying time overnight)  I think I remember The water pump was $70 and the fan clutch $150.

Also, careful with the bolts in the thermostat housing.  Mine were really stuck and I was very careful not to strip them.  Good luck and do some back stretches before you start.  It helped to have a second person when putting the radiator back in.

Ray
'68 280SL 4-spd Coupe
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe

tuultyme

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2005, 06:03:00 »
I did not have to remove the radiator to replace my water pump which did require the removal of the fan.  If you have A/C, to get to the small L-hose under the thermostat you will need to remove the A/C bracket which is not easy in itself.  This would easier if the hood and radiator were removed.  And while you have all that off check the front seal.  I did this last winter and I did not keep track of the time it took.

Bruce; 268Blaugrun(green) 1970 280SL; IL

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2005, 18:06:48 »
Hello,
Hood removal will save you lots of time in the long run especially if you have AC. It makes the whole job so much easier and faster. It is not difficult but you must follow  some instuctions so you do not damage the paint or damage your own body when the hood spring whips around!
Have agood place to store the hood while working on the car where the wind or pets will not knock it over.

You will need two people to remove it safely. I believe the procedure has been described on this site several times. Use some painter's tape around the hood opening and on the front edges of the hood to keep paint from getting nicked during removal. We can elaborate on the whole process again if needed.

Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

andy

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2005, 02:48:29 »
bob,
why not go with the high eff. rad while your at it.who ever does the work make sure you read all the threads re. the removal of the hood.if you have a-c watch the condenser is not left hanging if the rad comes out.
andy