Author Topic: Front Wheel Disc  (Read 2886 times)

bpossel

Front Wheel Disc
« on: January 19, 2005, 06:51:53 »
When re-installing my front wheel disc, I tried to tighten the hub until it wouldnt rotate anymore, then the plan was to back it off 1/3rd, as per the BBB.

The problem is that I turned the large nut with the allen bolt (not sure what you call this?) until it was fully tight, BUT...  I could still turn the wheel hub.  So at this point, I simply backed the nut up 1/3rd and then tightened the allen.

Any ideas on what could be wrong?  Has anyone else experienced this?

Regards,
Bob

bpossel
Memphis, TN.
1971 280SL
1997 E320

Malc

Re: Front Wheel Disc
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2005, 06:56:47 »
Could it be the bearings are worn to the point they need replacing??
Malc

bpossel

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2005, 07:05:44 »
Update...

In addition to replacing all discs (rotors) and pads, I also had to replace the inner and outer front wheel bearings.  With the old bearings, I was not able to fully tighten down the discs and then back off 1/3, as per the BBB.

I was amazed at how thick the grease on the inner bearing was when I pulled it out.  Almost like hard tar.  These must have been be the original bearings, and packing the bearings must not have been kept up with as part of earlier maintenance?

As per the BBB, after installing the inner bearings (and new chases), I loaded the rear of the hub with 2 ozs (1/4 cup) of wheel grease.  This seems like alot of grease once you start packing it in.  When I originally pulled off the hubs, very little grease was in there, maybe 1/2 oz?

With the new discs and bearings installed, I was able to fully tighten the discs.  I then backed off 1/3, as per the BBB.  The Haynes manual reads that you should be able to rotate the washer by hand.  So I had to back off the disc nut slightly more than 1/3rd.

Others that have replaced their bearings, what have you experienced?  More than 1/3rd? I also read that I need to readjust the bearings after driving the car for a while.  Any comments on how many miles before I need to readjust the discs?

On to the next project...

Regards,
Bob

bpossel
Memphis, TN.
1971 280SL
1997 E320

Malc

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2005, 03:20:38 »
Bob
Remember that "rotate by hand" is rather subjective so you may of had to slacken or tighten more than say I would, but whatever you have come up with for you car should be fine.
I woud suggest that first of all you drive your car say 100 miles and recheck, then always check at every service interval
To check for any play jack the car up until the wheel is off the ground and try to rock it by holding the tyre top and bottom, then at 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock. You should be able to "feel" any play in the system
However bear in mind that this test may show up other worn components
in the suspension and steering assemblies!!
HTH
Malc
« Last Edit: January 24, 2005, 03:21:19 by Malc »