Author Topic: Power Steering Restored - Thanks Group!  (Read 2828 times)

ChrisInNashville

• Silver
  • USA, TN, Nashville
Power Steering Restored - Thanks Group!
« on: January 29, 2005, 13:31:24 »
Thanks for help and guidance.   My power steering is restored.   Because of my inexperience, it wasn't as quick as it should have been and it was a little messier than necessary.   For posterity, here's what I did.

First, taking the groups advice, I emptied the reservoir and checked the filter.   Actually, it was quite clean inside, but I'm glad I checked.

Second, I moved on to the bleeding.   I purchased 3 feet of 1/4" fuel/emission tubing to attach to the bleeder.   Here's where it got tricky and messy...Since the space was tight, I wanted to loosen the 11mm bleeder nut first to ease the process once I started the engine.   I couldn't loosen it.   So, I came upstairs to check the forum and saw one of Cees's posts (confirming that it was indeed an 11mm was very helpful - thanks).   When I got back to the car, the bleeder had leaked a little fluid.   It seems I had unknowingly succeeded in loosening the bleeder a bit.

In addition, I believe that this slight loosening had the effect of releasing the air.   While I still went through the process of attaching the hose and connecting to the reservoir, there was very little bubbling.  I was glad that I had extra fluid handy since the circulation required a "top off".

I surmise that the instructions in Haynes to jack up the car were to ease the difficulty of the left/right turning prior to getting the air out. I didn't and it was not necessary as the wheels were turning easily by this point.

So, that's my story.   It worked and I appreciate the help.

‘69 280 SL
‘24 GLE450e
Tennessee, USA

n/a

Re: Power Steering Restored - Thanks Group!
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2005, 15:20:39 »
Isn't it nice when you can solve a seemingly big problem for the cost of some tubing and P/S fluid?

Shawn Rock
Philly, PA USA
1968 280 SL 4 speed

ChrisInNashville

• Silver
  • USA, TN, Nashville
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2005, 16:29:57 »
...plus one 11mm socket...I didn't have that one!
‘69 280 SL
‘24 GLE450e
Tennessee, USA

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2005, 08:15:46 »
Glad to hear all is well.

Now, does this not beg the question about your mechanic?  How could he miss your problem?  Bleeding a system should be SOP; so should filter changing/cleaning as the case may be.  One would assume that if a professional (as opposed to the shade-tree mechanics most of us are) was working on this, that all the "usual gang of suspects" (filter, bleeding, etc.) had already been addressed by the mechanic as part of the scientific method in problem solving.  Thank goodness he didn't suggest a pump replacement like I did; you would have had the $$$ of a new pump, and perhaps the same issue!  Regardless, I'm sure everyone is happy that another issue is resolved.

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Signal Red w/Black Leather
Restored
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid