Author Topic: Gemutlichkeit 2005 - National Event  (Read 2737 times)

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Gemutlichkeit 2005 - National Event
« on: December 08, 2004, 08:50:37 »
Gentlemen,

MARK YOUR CALENDERS!  This is a distant early warning regarding Gemutlichkeit 2005.  This is one of the premier MBCA National events (the other major one being Starfest)held every other or few years.

Gemutlichkeit 2005 is scheduled for June 25-28, 2005 and is hosted by the International Stars section of the Mercedes Benz Club of America. The venues for the events will be located in the northern Detroit suburbs.  Much like Starfest 2004, there will be driving events held at the Waterford Road Course:

http://www.na-motorsports.com/Tracks/WaterfordHills.php

There will be a welcome reception, awards banquet, a Concours d'Elegance and probably some other events as well.  We are going to try and have the Concours on the grounds of Daimler Chrysler headquarters or their Tech Center in Auburn Hills.  The folks in Ohio did a spectacular job on Starfest 2004--this will be a tough act to follow, but we're sure as heck going to try.

Starfest had an unusually large showing of 113's, no doubt in part due to this club and how it has bonded some 113 owners together; remember getting 113 owners together was once likened to herding cats!  Let's plan on making an equally impressive showing at Gemutlichkeit 2005.  There are some local owners of 300 SL's both Roadster and Gull Wings; there are 190's as well, and I know of a few 113's in the area besides myself.  I'll try and get commitment from all these owners--perhaps we can have a "tour" of these classic cars in and around some of the most spectacular real estate in the country.

As a member of International Stars, I'm going to assist the chairpeople in whatever needs to be done to pull this event off.  I'll keep everyone informed as events are planned and scheduled.

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Signal Red w/Black Leather
Restored
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
Re: Gemutlichkeit 2005 - National Event
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2004, 23:13:05 »
Hello Micheal,
Sounds like fun. I have driven that track before and it is very nice. I am planning on being there!

Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2005, 08:49:57 »
UPDATES:

Last night was our first organizational meeting.

Pete Lesler will be holding a Concours Judging Class here in Michigan in early May.  Get certified as an official MBCA judge and win friends and influence people! :D   Stay tuned.

Bob Sirna, well known 300SL owner, will have his 1st Prize winner (repeatedly) 300SL Roadster on display.  He promises to get some additional 300SL's for display, both GULLWING and ROADSTER models.  Wooo-Hooo!!!  Bob tells us he throws out 2nd and 3rd prize trophys.  Anyone want to go dumpster diving???

I know of about half a dozen 113's that are local and or members of the MBCA (but not of our group here) and I will certainly try to "corral this posse of cats" to at least bring them to the show.  Included are Tommy Amaker, head coach of Big-Ten basketball team at the University of Michigan.

Sateesh Tumalla of Motorwerks and the head honcho of the W126 group will probably have some of his group have their cars around as well.  (They really support modifications in this group, and there are some fast ones...) Just as soon as I tell him!  Yep, that's what I'm a gonna do.

The Concours is scheduled to be held on the grounds of Daimler Chrysler headquarters.

The welcoming reception is scheduled to be at the Walter P. Chrysler Museum.  For those who have not read the papers in a few years, Mercedes and Chrysler are one, a "merger of equals".  Anyone think of putting a hemi in a 113 yet?  Dodge Aries AMG?

No promises here, but there is a distinct possibility that a DTM Racing Mercedes from Europe might be on display...something like 700 HP $1.2M car that is being "federalized".  It might make a detour from its point of federalization to the destination owner, and that detour might be right here.

So, things are shaping up!

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Signal Red w/Black Leather
Restored
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

norton

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2005, 09:31:56 »
YES  I have thought of putting one of the new HEMI's in to a 113, They have a crate motor available and The exhaust manifolds look real Pagoda friendly http://www.hotrodlane.cc/HEMI/hemimain.html   8)