Author Topic: wood treatments  (Read 4480 times)

Joe

• Silver
  • USA, CO, Colorado Springs
wood treatments
« on: May 07, 2003, 13:54:41 »
Hello,
newbie question here. My 1965 230SL has wooden covers for the posts which divide the side windows from the windshield. (These are the covers one must remove to get the dash wood off.) These wooden post covers have been covered with vinyl. Are they supposed to be finished wood? I found two cars on ebay with pictures which include these posts. One had (apparently) finished wood, and the other was vinyl covered. Yet, I've never seen these pieces in ads for wood kits.

Thanks!
Joe

Douglas

Re: wood treatments
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2003, 14:05:07 »
joe,

are you referring to the interior of the A-post? in other words, the left & right vertical sides of the windshield surround?

if so, those should be covered in either leather or vinyl, depending on what the rest of your interior is covered in. it should match the dash.

Douglas Kim
New York, NY

Joe

• Silver
  • USA, CO, Colorado Springs
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2003, 14:39:35 »
Thank you, Douglas. Yes, those are the ones I refer to. I wonder why these covers were made of wood if they were covered with vinyl. I would think metal covers would be far easier to manufacture.
Joe

Douglas

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2003, 15:44:56 »
those posts are covered in wood veneer on the more luxurious W 111 coupes & cabriolets, so it was probably an owner's "nod" to the pagoda's bigger, fancier brother.

Douglas Kim
New York, NY

n/a

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2003, 08:33:22 »
Joe,
The A pillar covers came from the factory covered in the same material as the rest of the interior. I have seen many W113's, but have never seen one with this cover piece in finished wood. However, I don't know why it wouldn't work.

Regards,
Stan