Author Topic: data card help  (Read 4964 times)

Joe

• Silver
  • USA, CO, Colorado Springs
data card help
« on: May 12, 2003, 13:55:22 »
I just got my data card this morning. Two things I cannot figure out: What is the model year of the car (or, when was it produced) and to what country was it sent? Any help on where to find these data would be appreciated.
I guess there is a third item. Under something like "Schicht-Nr." is 3009. Can't find mention of this field anywhere.
Thanks,
Joe

George Davis

Re: data card help
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2003, 15:06:17 »
Joe,
Check the Database section of this site.  The first item there gives the month your car was built in.  That doesn't tell you the model year necessarily, so if it's not clear then ask again and give your serial number (if you're willing to).
In the box to the right of the serial number ( labelled Auftrags-Nr.) the second, third and fourth digits are the dealer code, this identifies the dealership or country your car was shipped to from the factory.  Don't know if those codes are on this site, but they are on the net somewhere, search for "mercedes dealer codes".
Also, the first digit of that number **may** indicate the model year.  On my card, that first digit is a 9, my car is a '69, and I recently saw someone else's number starting with 8 for a '68 model.  Can't say for sure, but maybe...
Schicht-Nr. means shift-number. I assume it's the work shift that built the car, but I have no idea exactly what the numbers mean.

George Davis
'69 280 SL Euro manual

Joe

• Silver
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2003, 15:40:31 »
Thanks, George. My VIN is 113-042-10-009112, indicating a 1965, according to the production data on Roy Spencer's site.
I found this site: http://www.mercedes-veterans.com/tech/dealers.htm
which tells me the car was sent to a dealer in Koln, Leverkusen, whatever the heck that is. This site confirms your suspicion that the first digit of Auftrags-Nr. is, indeed, the year of order. My Auftrags-Nr. is 42212273, indicating the car was ordered in 1964 by Dealer 221 (Koln, Leverkusen) and was car number 2273 ordered by this agency.
Now for finding the database so I can find the month of build. I hope it was built by more than one shift! Can't seem to find that site. Incidentally, all of the fields on the data card from 42 through 68 contain only a hyphen. This must have been a very basic car.
Thanks for the help!
Joe

George Davis

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2003, 17:01:52 »
Joe,

I believe Koln, Leverkusen means the town of Leverkusen near the city of Cologne in Germany, so it was originally sold in Germany.

Go to the homepage of this site (click on the W113 Pagoda SL Group banner) and look for Database.

George Davis
'69 280 SL Euro manual

Joe

• Silver
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2003, 19:17:13 »
Well, George, good news and strange news.
My car, according to the database, was built in February 1965. The title says it is a 1966. The first digit of the Auftrags-Nr. is a four, however. I think the "4" is the year of order, not the year of the model. This is what it said on the website I cited in an earlier note.
Thanks for the help!

Joe
1965 230 SL, white European model, 4-speed

n/a

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2003, 11:36:07 »
Joe,

You can also find good info on the following site : htpp://www.mbspares.com.au , go to information, there's a lot there.

Willy, 230 SL 1967 - 220 SEb 1965