Author Topic: Cover for W113  (Read 2821 times)

n/a

Cover for W113
« on: April 22, 2005, 08:07:00 »
Gentlemen:

I finally have my W113 home from winter storage and in use.  I am just getting familiar with the car, and am enjoying it very much.  My car is a dark green colour that readily shows the dust. I want to get a dust cover for it, and wonder if someone has a recommendations as to source and type?  I have seen them with the MB logo on the hood, and while this would be a nice touch, it is not a real requirement.

Regards,

Jim Hunter, Ottawa, Canada

JLHunter

Douglas

Re: Cover for W113
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2005, 08:19:38 »
Is the car being stored outside or inside? Also, what are the conditions for storage where it is? Damp? Dry?

Douglas Kim
New York, NY
280 SL #016220

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2005, 08:19:52 »
Jim,

There are many sources of covers, and many materials as well.  Expect to pay USD $150-$250 depending on your needs.  Just poke around the internet and you'll find a dozen vendors.

For inside storage only, and dust protection only, cotton flannel is the least cost alternative.  

For outside storage, or protection from sun and moisture, there are various non-woven fabrics and kinds.  It really depends on what you need.

A welcome tool to have is the California duster, a hand dust mop whose head is impregnated with some kind of solvents to pick up dust.  They work well to keep a clean car clean, inbetween washings.  Just sitting anywhere, the car will attract dust.

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Signal Red w/Black Leather
Restored
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2005, 10:23:16 »
I have an all purpose sort of cover, made with NOAH material, that is mostly weatherproof (double check the adds). I store mine inside with the cover in place. I got my cover through Griot's Garage, but there are a number of different sources. Pricing is around US$200. And it was made to fit my car, with a small pouch to accomodate the mirror, or a fitting for the radio attenna.

I also concure with my esteemed colleague Mike S. on the use of the California duster. They make a couple of different sizes, large to use on the outside surfaces, and a small one to tidy up the dash and interior surfaces.

Jonny B
1967 250SL Auto
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

n/a

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2005, 12:38:43 »
Gentlemen:  Thank you for your responses.  They were very helpful.  To answer Douglas' question, the car is usually stored in my garage, it is quite dry, but faces west into the prevailing wind. Across from me is a woods and farmer's fields, so pollen, dust, leaves and corn husks get blown into the garage if I leave the doors open for a period of time while I am working.  I like Michael's idea of the "California Duster".  I have seen these being used at our local shows and will probably get one at first opportunity. I'm really enjoying the car and it is running very well after a slight charging problem that was quickly repaired at the shop that services my Fords.

Thanks and best regards

Jim Hunter, Ottawa Canada

JLHunter