Author Topic: Heads up - what's that in Spanish?  (Read 8157 times)

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
Heads up - what's that in Spanish?
« on: May 13, 2003, 12:20:41 »
Just an update (or, in English: a "heads-up") on how the group is going. We are getting close to 200 members. On average, two new members are joining each day. At this rate, we will have some 800 members this time next year. What's more, our members are already from 20 different countries - which I really demonstrates the international presence of the W113 Pagoda.

Over 50 have so far joined to become full members. Any day now, we will get our first issue of "Pagoda World" (the quarterly magazine) back from the printers so we can mail it out to all full members, together with their window decal/sticker, membership card etc.

The activity on the site is very good. I hope everyone enjoys reading the contributions from so many about what keeps our cars in shape, as much as I do. In all, I think we are fortunate to have this forum to help us all "make the most of our Pagoda" - especially considering we have only been "on the air" for about three months now ...

If there is anything you can think of that we can improve on, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Sincerely,
Cees Klumper, president
W113 Pagoda SL Group
cees@klumper.demon.nl
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

gwuisman

• Senior
  • Netherlands, Zuid-Holland, Oegstgeest
  • Keep it simpel
Re: Heads up - what's that in Spanish?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2003, 14:35:42 »
Cees,
There is always something to improve. I am thinking of a full membership of a minor. My son of 12 is totally involved with my 280sl. He and I looked for the car. We do a lot with it together and agreed with his sisters that he will have the car later. He wants to be able to write his own posts. I am in favour of that because it is a good way to exercize his English. Is it possible to become full (family?) member without getting the magazine etc.?
Gerard Wuisman

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2003, 21:03:47 »
Gerard,
Just by signing up for this web forum, you become a "Basic Member".  As a basic member of the Group, you can contribute to the forum, participate in local/international events, and more (see the benefits listed elsewhere on this web site).

If you pay the dues to become a "Full Member", then you get Pagoda World, a window sticker, an ID card, access to additional web pages on our web site, ability to vote when the Group has new business (electing officers, changing the Charter, etc.), and more.

It sounds like your son just needs his own ID on the web forum, so he would have his own Basic Membership.

Rodd
1966 230SL Euro
1994 E420
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL auto "Italian"

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2003, 10:03:04 »
I suppose we could look at the possibility of a full (family) membership, without another subscription to the magazine. On the other hand, if the benefits of the free basic membership are sufficient for your son, then maybe that would suffice.
Cees Klumper
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2003, 14:38:22 »
quote:
My son of 12 is totally involved with my 280sl. He and I looked for the car. We do a lot with it together and agreed with his sisters that he will have the car later.

How did you get your son to be so involved? My 10 year old son just sniggers when he sees me mess with the car. My 9-year old daughter just wants a pony! Where did I go wrong  :?:

Peter

Check out http://bali.esweb.nl for photographs of classic car events and my 1970 280 SL
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2003, 14:50:55 »
My 4-year old son told everyone at school today that he was going to work in Delft (where I am working since last week), on "auto's van Pappa" (i.e. Mercedes cars). He recognizes Mercedes (and most other cars) from a mile away. He was born that way I think. My 6-year old daughter also wants a pony Peter, so you're batting 500.
Cees Klumper
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

Richard Madison

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, NY, New York
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2003, 15:16:25 »
Maybe you've got to train kids early. My son is in his 20's, he doesn't have driver's license and tells me to get a modern car so I don't have to get my hands dirty. There has been an obvious failure of communication. Although he does enjoy a top down drive once in while... (he says he comes along for the ride as a favor to me.)
Richard M
1969 280 SL, Tunis Beige, Euro Model (Italy).

n/a

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2003, 18:08:31 »
Richard and others
I can only sympathise with your position. My 18 year old son has exactly the same attitude. 13 years ago I came across a 1966 VW Beetle that was just so good that I bought it and kept it with the expectation that it would be a great car for Sebastian to drive when he was old enough. I nurtured that car over the years, had the motor rebuilt and it was resprayed (all original, of course). When he got his learner's permit, he attempted to drive it once, hated it and refused to get back in. He also lost interest in learning to drive even a modern car. I sold the VW last year. He considers my 230SL and enthusiasm for old cars generally, to be completely impractical and a little silly. That being said, I intend to be even more impractical and silly in the future.
Mark

1965 230 SL

Bob G ✝︎

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2003, 20:29:47 »
My personal thoughts are that my father was responsible for directing me to appreciate classic automobiles. From the time he drove home his new 1968 280SL home till his passing he was always working underneath the car even at times in his suit. We used to go to car shows and dealerships to compare the new Mercedes-Benz models and it was then that I started collecting literature.
It wasn't until late 1970 that I attended my first concours and was totally awed by the beautifull condition of these old cars. My first car was a 1972 Fiat 124 Sort Coupe AC 1608 CC twin cam.
Aside from making my allowance money washing and waxing the 280SL I learned to dive in that car, so it means a lot to see its enjoyment will continue past my father's life and perhaps mine to one of my nieces. It was a Sunday ritual I will not forget.
I suggest going to car shows with your son or daughter. This is well worth the education of automotive history and a great way to learn about the ownership of a classic car.
Bob Geco

gwuisman

• Senior
  • Netherlands, Zuid-Holland, Oegstgeest
  • Keep it simpel
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2003, 05:42:48 »
Cees and others,
1. How to get children to love old cars
Give them the right genes. When my son started to talk he could pronounce Mitsubishi better than papa. Just a question of natural priority. Give them a little bit superiority in relation to friends with fathers with other oldtimers [old cars]. It is obvious that a Beetle does not give a feeling like the Pagoda. A Massarati does. In case my daughter of 24 asks me to drive her to her studentroom in center Delft, she always wants to go with the 280sl. That impresses.
Take your son or daughter on a holiday trip with the W113 for a few days. Everyone wants to talk with her/him. In reverse you will have better reaction.
Don't spoil the children with modern cars and don't be stressed if something goes wrong with the old car. I started with a Peugeot 404. At regular times we had problems. It was always possible to solve them on the spot and we had nice contacts by getting it fixed. From a standpoint of education an oldtimer offers a good opportunity to show children that not everything in life is perfect and that troubles can be overcome.
Spend your time by driving, not by maintaining all the time.

2. Family membership
In Holland, children like to be selfsupporting. Have their own things. Do it their own way. A family membership could meet this desire in relation to the W113. When driving the W113, involved children feel themselves a real partner of the driving parent: we are members of the same club instead of: I'm just driving with my father/mother. These type of children will support organisations like W113 Pagoda SL Group for the future. We will need them. So it is good to have them on board early.
Gerad Wuisman

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2003, 00:33:30 »
Looks like my comments sparked off an interesting discussion. I'd like to report some progress here. Next week my son and I are participating in an old-timer tour which sponsors the local school. My son's best friend and his dad are participating too... and he happens to own a 280SL as well. Last year some really exotic cars turned up at this school, including a Ferrari F40, Jaguar Mark II, a Rolls-Royce, a Maserati Merak and a Delahaye.

My son has to do the navigating. Yesterday (Sunday the 18th of May) my son and I went on a practice drive, where he used last years route book to guide me. He actually enjoyed himself for 2 hours... part of it must have been the ability to "tell me where to go...".

Peter

Check out http://bali.esweb.nl for photographs of classic car events and my 1970 280 SL
« Last Edit: May 19, 2003, 00:34:03 by vanesp »
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!