Author Topic: Mobil 1 Oil  (Read 7659 times)

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Re: Mobil 1 Oil
« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2022, 21:39:59 »
...With the recommendations it works this way: the manufacturer of the car or the engine recommends a certain viscosity and quality of the oil. This recommendation is the basement for choosing the oil. With that recommendation (for example 5W30) you go to your favorite lubricant manufacturer and look what lubricant this company has in stock to come close to the engines requirements. This is the way. Not vice versa.

So, are you saying that today, March 2022, Mercedes-Benz has reviewed current oil selections and made a recommendation today for their M127-M130 engine Pagodas from 1963-1971?  If not, then I do not think any recommendation based on 50 year old data and 50 year old oil formulations is useful.

For modern cars, yes. However, all is not as it seems. You see, on the engine bay of a modern Mercedes you may often see the label that says something like "Mercedes-Benz recommends Mobil1" Well, I asked my friends at Liquid-Moly about this, and they said "we cannot afford to have Mercedes recommend our oil like that" even though Liquid Moly meets their specifications. So, some $$$ politics at work.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

MikeSimon

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, North Royalton
« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2022, 12:07:56 »
Well said, Mike.
I don't think we can always blindly follow the manufacturers recommendations. 1).- they may be outdated and 2). - they may be influenced by marketing and $$ reasons.
1970/71 280SL Automatic
Sandy Beige
Parchment Leather
Power Steering
Automatic
Hardtop
Heated Tinted Rear Window
German specs
3rd owner

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2022, 13:28:10 »
I should also note--despite the fact that this thread emanated from the reported unavailability of Mobil 1 in the formulation for our cars (15W-50), that a number of other manufacturers make specialty blends for either Classic (sorry Dan, not my word) and or performance cars. These oils didn't exist in present formulation 50 years ago, but they do today to serve the needs of cars that are, well 50 years old...give or take.

Lucas 20W-50 Hot Rod & Classic
Castrol GTX Classic 20W-50
Champion Classic & Muscle 10W-30
Brad Penn Partial Synthetic Racing Oil
Hemmings Motor Oil 10W-30, 20W-50, 15W-50
Classic Car Motor Oil (by D-A Lubricants) 15W-40
Driven Racing Oil
Amsoil Z-Rod (thought they specifically don't list any oil on their selection chart for cars prior to 1980)
Shell Rotella (for diesels, not specifically noted for classic)
Liqui Moly Classic 20W-50

This is not meant as any kind of comprehensive list. But the more you search the more you will find some common "themes" in an oil branded for "classic and or performance cars".

1. Higher levels of ZDDP than for oils for modern cars; basically they are throwbacks to older formulations.
2. Perhaps also recommended for diesels; diesels don't have catalytic converters and thus their oils (like the Rotella) can have higher levels of ZDDP
3. Higher viscosities; you'll see a lot of oils with a -40 and -50, and the winter ratings 15W and 20W. By contrast a lot of daily drivers today specify 5W-30.
4. Racing oils are not generally recommended for street use (read the fine print), certainly not on modern cars. I think that's because in true race use, they are changed frequently and thus don't contain some of the additives that an oil would have that sits in the car for a year or more...and may be hard on some modern emissions gear?

So, you can debate all you want on the needed ZDDP levels, but the oils of 50 years ago had more than the oils of today for conventional use. Thus the "classic" oils were developed to serve the "needs" of older cars.

Since so many of these oils are in the 15W-50 and 20W-50 ratings they may be on to something. If you think that's too high, well there's the ones with -40, and one of the Hemmings has a -30 rating.

All in all, no shortage of available oils no matter whether you want synthetic or conventional, and in a variety of grades. Note also this is a list of oils from the USA. UK, Worldwide, Eurozone may all be different.

Since many of these are "specialty oils" you may not find them over the counter at your local store, but almost all are available by mail order.

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

MikeSimon

• Platinum
« Reply #53 on: March 30, 2022, 22:36:23 »
Funny thing, there is a Pagoda for sale right now on BaT. The seller has a picture of the data plate on his auction. Right next to the plate is another plate(?) probably installed by a service dealer that says: "Engine Oil 15w40"

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1968-mercedes-benz-250sl-17/

« Last Edit: March 30, 2022, 22:42:17 by MikeSimon »
1970/71 280SL Automatic
Sandy Beige
Parchment Leather
Power Steering
Automatic
Hardtop
German specs
3rd owner

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #54 on: March 31, 2022, 14:29:51 »
Haha. It's a Dymo label. Some kind of reminder either of what's in there, or what to put in there next time? Only the present owner knows for sure.

(My Ford dealer always sticks a little vinyl sticker in the upper left corner of the windshield, noting the mileage of the most recent oil change, the oil put in, and when it's due again. Usually the car itself, based on a number of factors--mileage, time, temperature, kind of use--suggests the next oil change which may or may not coincide with the mileage recommendation of the dealer...no Dymo labels. Pagodas don't have that kind of intelligence relying on the owner to figure it out.)
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

MikeSimon

• Platinum
« Reply #55 on: March 31, 2022, 16:35:54 »

(My Ford dealer always sticks a little vinyl sticker in the upper left corner of the windshield, noting the mileage of the most recent oil change, 

My Audi dealer gave me a bunch of these little cling-stick reminder labels for the windshield which I use for the vehicles where I do the oil changes myself 8)
1970/71 280SL Automatic
Sandy Beige
Parchment Leather
Power Steering
Automatic
Hardtop
German specs
3rd owner