Author Topic: Stereo Solution - A Complete Recap  (Read 18055 times)

Ed Cave

Stereo Solution - A Complete Recap
« on: April 16, 2005, 09:47:39 »
In an email to me, one of our members asked that I recap my final solution for music in my 280 SL. Once I wrote it all out I knew I'd never want to do that again so, for the archives and anyone interested, here is my answer to discrete tunes for the W113:

Chris:

This Thursday, the 21st of April I am going out to San Diego to do the 'final' on my 280 restoration and take about a 100 mile test drive through the valley / desert to check it out. It will then be shipped back here so I should have it in Atlanta in about 3 - 4 weeks at most.

The audio solution I came up with is this:

Traded the original Becker Europa in to Becker for a restored Europa II stereo. For $125 they took the old one, gave me a newly restored (E II) and included the cable that plugs into a Europa II that allows you to connect any accessory device like an MP3 player or discman or in my case, an iPod Shuffle ($99 or $149 depending on capacity you choose).

Having gone from mono to stereo, Becker suggested abandoning the center speaker and deciding where and how to place at least two speakers for stereo sound. I am adding a very small Sony power amp under the dash (like 50w / channel) and having some new speakers fashioned for the kick panels. The stereo shop doing that is actually recreating new kick panels from fiberglass and flush mounting the speakers. The kicks will be covered in leather to match everything else and the fabric speaker grills will be dyed to match the leather. These will be the only two speakers in the car.

I purchased a new ashtray ($69) and had a friend that does metal work cut out the snuffer and polish smooth the interior rim. He also cut a 1/8" hole in one corner of the bottom of the ashtray. I built up the bottom of the ashtray with 4 layers of 3/16" gator board so it wouldn't be quite so deep, then lined the interior of the ashtray with matching leather. A 1/8" black rubber grommet finishes off the leather where the cable runs through and another protects the cable where it exits the metal bottom of the ashtray.

I purchased an 8' audio cable with a 90 degree stereo mini jack on one end. When you open the ashtray, there is about 8" of this cable present with the mini jack, making it easy to attach the iPod and let it rest in the console box if you choose. This plugs into the iPod shuffle which neatly and easily drops back into the ashtray allowing you to close the lid and visually see nothing. The cable comes out the bottom of the ashtray, runs under the carpet to behind the dash where it plugs into the cable (box) Becker supplied with the Europa II.

The tiny iPod shuffle is essentially the equivalent of a 20 disc cd changer, holding 240 songs, but the size of a pack of gum. You simply turn it on, select "continuous loop" or "shuffle", drop it in the ashtray and adjust the volume to your liking right there on the dash via the Becker.

It sounds like a lot of work which it really wasn't. The work was figuring all of that out which I did and am happy to share. The result is the ability to have the equivalent of 20 cd's of music with real decent sound, volume adjustable from the dash installed Becker and the only visible modification is the speakers in the kick panels which are virtually invisible.

Ed Cave
Atlanta, GA

1964 356C
1971 280SL
1973 911S
2002 SC430
2004 A4 3.0
« Last Edit: April 16, 2005, 20:38:21 by Ed Cave »

Douglas

Re: Stereo Solution - A Complete Recap
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2005, 10:38:33 »
Ed, I couldn't help but notice the conspicuous addition of a 1973 911S to your list. Forget the ipod Shuffle! We need pictures of that 911! As far as I'm concerned, 1973 was the last good year.

Douglas Kim
New York, NY
280 SL #016220

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2005, 17:20:03 »
quote:
Originally posted by Ed Cave

Traded the original Becker Europa in to Becker for a restored Europa II stereo. For $125 they took the old one, gave me a newly restored (E II) and included the cable that plugs into a Europa II that allows you to connect any accessory device like an MP3 player of discman or in my case, an iPod Shuffle.
Ed,
Hi.  I was wondering, how you tell the Europa II to take audio input from the external source?  Do you tune it to a particular frequency, or is there a button that activates the external source?

To everyone in general,
Which Beckers have this external jack and fit in the narrow opening of a 230SL?

Thanks,

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL auto "Italian"

Ed Cave

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2005, 20:37:06 »
Rodd:

As I understand it when an accessory device is connected and activated it simply overrides the radio and the radio's volume knob now controls the volume of the accessory device.

Douglas:

Yesterday I flew up to Madison, WI to look at (and ultimately purchase) a 1973 911S. I agree with you, this was definitely the last really good 911 for quite some time. They have become very collectable and are difficult to find, particularly in outstanding condition. I had been looking since about November and Brian Peters came across this one. Returning to Atlanta last night on the plane I recalled my test drive from earlier in the afternoon and a huge smile came across my face.

Unfortunately this means the 356 has to go.  :(  I can only accommodate two collector vehicles at one time. If anyone has an interest in it, let me know pretty quickly. A few pics of each are below.

Download Attachment: 73S-at-purchase.jpg
41.34 KB

Download Attachment: 73S-Engine-Bay.jpg
57.35 KB

Download Attachment: 73911S-undercarriage.jpg
43.98 KB

Download Attachment: 356-April-05.jpg
59.52 KB

Download Attachment: 356-Jamb-April-05.jpg
58.32 KB

Ed Cave
Atlanta, GA

1964 356C
1971 280SL
1973 911S
2002 SC430
2004 A4 3.0
« Last Edit: April 16, 2005, 20:43:33 by Ed Cave »

TA250SL

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2005, 22:26:30 »
I don't believe any Beckers with the output jack fit the smaller radio opening of the earlier Pagoda's.  However, you can fit just the faceplate assembly from the early radio to the later models. This gives you the features of the later radios and eliminates modifying the smaller radio opening.  I did it with a stereo Grand Prix.  When I plug the iPod into the input line, it deletes the radio signal.  I ran the line into the glove box.

Tom
1967 250SL
Los Angeles

n/a

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2005, 20:42:24 »
ED, I chose a little different route to improving the sound system in my 65 230 SL.  I found a Kenwood radio that has a retro look, but that has provisions for sirius reception, MP3, 4 speakers and other features.  While it is does not look exactly like the Becker that was in the car I can accept the difference for the improved sound and reception, and the improved capacity of the MP3 over a CD player.  Also, everything is in one package that fits in the same place as the original radio.  I looked for several years before I found a radio that I though had the right look for the 113 car.  This is the best one I have found.  Plans are to put speakers behind the kick panels and punch a series of holes through the kick panel and the leather covering.  I am trying  to get by without using a speaker grille over the speakers.  A third speaker is to be placed behind the carpet in the quarter panel behind the drivers seat.  Again without a speaker grille.  I still have not worked out the placement of the fourth speaker as I have a kinder seat on the passenger side that precludes duplicating the placement of the rear drivers side speaker.  Anyway it is time to get on the stick and complete the installation of the radio and the new interior.  These are the only things keeping me from getting out and enjoying all this fine spring driving weather.

Maybe we can compare notes if I bump into you sometime this summer when we are out cruising.  

Good luck.

Iverson

hands_aus

• Platinum
  • Australia, Queensland, Brisbane
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2005, 05:53:27 »
Hey Tom,
Did you have to do any re-sizing to your dash or the radio at all?
This seems like the best option for we early 250sl owners who don't want to enlarge the dash opening.
Did you buy the faceplate from Becker America (north)?

Bob Smith (Brisbane,Australia)
RHD,1967 early 250 SL, auto
RHD,1967 early 250 SL #114, auto, ps , 717,717
best of the best

Kenneth Gear

• Silver
  • USA, VA, Fairfax Station
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2005, 06:22:44 »
Ed,

That's one sweet looking 911S.  I too have been "keeping my eyes open" for a '73 in similar condition for a while now.  Looks outstanding from the pictures... congratulations!

Ken G
1971 280 SL
Silver/red
Ken G
1971 280 SL Silver/red

TA250SL

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2005, 20:48:00 »
No modification was necessary to the radio dash plate.  I used the Becker radio face from an early Grand Prix that I already owned.  I just swapped the radio chassis with that from a newer Grand Prix stereo.  Same looks, better sound.

Tom
1967 250SL
Los Angeles

hands_aus

• Platinum
  • Australia, Queensland, Brisbane
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2005, 07:11:17 »
Tom,

Thanks for the info.

RHD,1967 early 250 SL, auto
RHD,1967 early 250 SL #114, auto, ps , 717,717
best of the best

Sphe

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2005, 09:51:01 »
quote:
Originally posted by Iverson

...ED, I chose a little different route to improving the sound system in my 65 230 SL.  I found a Kenwood radio that has a retro look, but that has provisions for sirius reception, MP3, 4 speakers and other features.  While it is does not look exactly like the Becker that was in the car I can accept the difference for the improved sound and reception, and the improved capacity of the MP3 over a CD player.  Also, everything is in one package that fits in the same place as the original radio.  ...

Whats the model number on that kenwood? Im interested in improving the sound in my car as well once it gets running. It just fit right into place? No modifications to the housing?

Eugene
1965 230SL, Max Speed: Zero

knirk

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2005, 11:47:28 »
Or you can keep the original set-up and add a new radio/CD/MP3. I used a antenna split plug and routed the antenna cable to a second radio presently hidden in the glove compartment. Both radios work. In time I will go for Cees’s solution to hide it under the seat and use a remote control. We discussed this a year ago in this string:
http://www.sl113.com/forums/index.php?topic=1513+control

Per G. Birkeland
69 280 sl aut 834
Norway

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2005, 16:03:31 »
Ed Cave's solution sounds very good. Mine works also, but it's more work and more modifications too. I recently got one of those Ipod shuffle things and it sure is convenient, once you figure out what music you want on it. I particularly like the idea of being able to use the/a Becker radio.

Cees ("Case") Klumper in Amsterdam
'69 white 280 SL automatic
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

ChrisInNashville

• Silver
  • USA, TN, Nashville
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2005, 19:07:09 »
A word of caution:

I'm in my 40's.   I was an early embracer of computers, pda's, cell phones, etc.   In other words, I am very technology 'savvy'.   I also have good eyesight.

However, everytime I try to use the ipod I bought for this purpose, I just about have a wreck!   I have to stare while searching for desired songs and I can't keep my eye on the road.

My suggestion:   Only put the songs on the ipod that you like and no more (I put my entire collection and frankly Ladysmith Black Mombaza is not the same in the car - but Jimmy Buffett rocks when the top is down!)

Also, use a hardwired connection, not the wireless RF modulators.   They work for me, but not consistly and get interference from my four local NPR stations.
‘69 280 SL
‘24 GLE450e
Tennessee, USA

Sphe

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2005, 05:57:43 »
Heh, its funny you say that. I do have an IPOD and i've run into that problem a number of times. I just create playlists on my computer, and start it before i travel.

Eugene
1965 230SL, Max Speed: Zero

n/a

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2005, 13:46:37 »
recently fitted a becker europa to our new 1969 Porsche 911S, and got the ipod adapter from becker.

While I was there, I picked one up for the mexico, small face plate version in our '66 230sl....both sound great, maybe not at highway speeds, but around town, it is very enjoyable.

-Lewis

'66 230 sl 113042-10-016238
'67 Saab Sonett II #43 of 258
'69 Porsche 911S
'00 Saab 9-3 viggen conv
'02 Saab 9-5 aero

n/a

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2005, 20:27:45 »
Sphe
The model number for the Kenwood radio is EZ500.  This was a 2004/2005 model number. I do not know if this model is still available, but you can try Kenwood.  The radio has a retro look with two knobs just as the earlier radios did, along with all the bells and whistles of the newer radios.  The kenwood is much lighter than the original becker and benefits from 40 years of improved technology.  

I did need to enlarge the opening in the faceplate and fabricate a support from 1/8 inch aluminum plate for the back of the radio.  The back of the radio is now supported just as the original was.  I used a milling machine to enlarge the hole in the faceplate and a small saber saw to cut the aluminum plate for the back support.  I bought a new faceplate from MB just in case I ever want to reinstall the original becker radio. The new faceplate was considerably cheaper than a used one that I priced.  

Good luck

Iverson

hauser

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2005, 21:45:00 »
As for the Kenwood EZ500 there are a few of them listed on ebay.

1969 280sl 5 spd
Gainesville, Fl.

• Platinum
  • Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Tecklenburg
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2005, 12:57:48 »
Hello Ed,

Thanks for the great report. I personally like your solution most.  ;)
The gentleman from Lebanon (Marek/Malek ...sorry, forgot his correct name, he is on the 42 year anniversary poster too) has a similar/identical solution.

Nevertheless, would you mind to show a few pics like ashtray and whatever you modified/upgraded??

That would be superb! 8)

Many thanks!
Best,

Achim
(Magdeburg, Germany)
Achim
(Germany)

n/a

« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2005, 07:29:02 »
Another CD/sterio solution.  IM just noticed in the latest edition of The Star, Becker is advertising a retro look radio.. It is available through the local MB dealer.  It is not identical to the original in looks but it is a good substitute.  

Good ludk

Iverson

TR

« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2005, 08:37:05 »
Iverson -- A retro-look Becker sounds interesting.  I just took a quick peak at the Becker website and did not see it.  If you, or anyone else, finds it there then perhaps the direct link could be posted??

Tom in Boise
'71 280SL 4-spd, signal red w/lt. tan interior, restored/enhanced

n/a

« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2005, 18:37:51 »
TR

If you are a member of the MBCA, look on page 14 of the July/August 2005 The Star.  There is a picture of the unit.  It supposedly is available at your local Mercedes Benz dealer.  The website address given there is www.beckerautosound.com.  I have not checked this website but I will just to see if it is listed there.  

good luck

Iverson

n/a

« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2005, 19:34:23 »
TR

I just checked the Becker website.  Under car multimedia, I found a model Online Pro 7800 that looks a lot like the radio listed in The Star.  The difference I could see was that the one in The Star had a 3 point star and Mercedes Benz on the face of the radio.  I imagine that both have all the bells and whistles.  I do not have any idea of the price.  Maybe the dealer can help on that.  

Good luck

Iverson

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2005, 22:02:21 »
The iTrip FM transmitter could be another solution for those who cannot live without their iPods but do not want to do major surgery. It is WIRELESS (!!) needs no external power source and works with any FM radio (mono or stereo.  
For details see:  
http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/itrip_mini/index.php

Alfred

1966 blue 230SL automatic
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

merrill

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2005, 08:41:34 »
I like the I pod idea. An alternate would be to use your pda.
I have a pda that I can down load MP3's (digital music) onto a compact flash card, AND I have a IBIZ Radio card that fits into the compact flash card slot.
that way I can listen to the radio or digital music.

the connection to the stereo system / amp is essentially the same as the ipod.

Matt
Austin Tx
66 230 sl - "white"
78 300 D - Blue
98 C230