Author Topic: Headlights  (Read 3641 times)

Mike

Headlights
« on: May 30, 2005, 09:14:28 »
I am thinking of replacing my U.S headlights on my 1967 230SL with Euro style as mine are pretty beat up.  There is a pair on ebay and the bid ends tody.  They are item number 4552211547. The description says lillte but they are new in the box.  They look pretty good to me.  Can someone please advise whether these appear to be the real deal and, if so, what they are worth?  Thanks a bunch.  

Michael L. Hund

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
Re: Headlights
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2005, 10:20:37 »
Michael,

Have you priced new sets from various suppliers?  I would check our vender's list and get quotes from at least 5 sources, maybe as many as 10.  If you have a hard time finding them in the USA from USA based suppliers, try the Euro suppliers.  Shopping around is the key!

As I just looked, reserve was not met yet at $511.

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL auto "Italian"

Bob G ✝︎

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2005, 12:58:00 »
Do not pay more than $600 for the pair you will also need chrome headlamp rings unless you choose to use your old set and break out the lens from the american set of lights, thats another $90.00 each.

Bob Geco

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2005, 18:45:43 »
quote:
Originally posted by rwmastel

Have you priced new sets from various suppliers?  I would check our vender's list and get quotes from at least 5 sources, maybe as many as 10.  

Rodd!  You've got to be kidding!  If you sign your name to something like this, you may very well get on a black list and nobody will ever give you a price again--they'll never take you seriously!  TEN VENDORS??  Come on, how far off the median do you think you will find?

I've been there and done that to the tune of way more dollars then I care to count...for new parts, there's a narrow band around which you'll find a selling price.  Remember if it is an MB part, it comes from MB and ALL the suppliers get it from them...parts I got from Miller's had a Caliber label on them.  If it is a "generic" or aftermarket part, the supply chain isn't that long in this day and age.  It doesn't take a lot of fishing to find out which suppliers have prices you can live with and service with a smile.  Even as a newbie in 1999, I don't think I ever checked with more then 4 or 5, and then cut it back from there when it became a waste of time.

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Signal Red w/Black Leather
Restored
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2005, 21:09:53 »
 :x  Let me get up and dust myself off.

:?  There, that's better.

Now, to be fair, I said at "at least 5".  You wrote yourself that you checked 4 or 5 before finding your favorites.  Why did I suggest "maybe as many as 10"?  As Michael was looking at eBay, I thought he might not be familiar with the parts suppliers on our database and it might take 10 phone calls to find the 2 or 3 suppliers that would give him that good service and good price combination.

The more you shop, the more likely you are to find that great company to work with or that great deal on your particular item.  I didn't know the details of his situation, I was just making a suggestion.

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL auto "Italian"

Tom

• Gold
  • USA, VA, Alexandria
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2005, 21:38:29 »
My view is that price is important, but specific knowledge is worth paying a premium price for a part.  Since 2000, I have bought parts from no more than 5 vendors.  When I found the right ones, I limited to 2 or 3.  I will pay more for parts if the vendor also can help me solve a problem.

Also, experienced vendors will send the correct part the first time.  I have a garage full of parts that I received that were not the right part and should have returned but didn't (too much effort, time).

Best,

Tom

1971 280sl Tunis Beige Metallic (restored & enhanced)
1971 280sl Tobacco Brown (low mileage stock)
1970 280sl Deep Red (Project Car)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2005, 21:39:10 by Tom »
1971 280sl Tunis Beige Metallic
1971 280sl Beach Driver

graphic66

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2005, 09:22:36 »
If price is the important thing one should consider getting a car with a newer 350 Chevy engine and drive train, you could have thousands of suppliers to choose from. When dealing with my 230SL having a knoweledgable parts person is priceless. Luckily there are a few out there and these people deserve a good living. Find your parts supplier and feed his jones so you can feed yours. Service far outwieghs price, you can always get something cheaper, and many times the wrong cheaper part costs way more.