Author Topic: Color combos  (Read 9757 times)

n/a

Color combos
« on: May 31, 2005, 21:33:30 »
The recent issue of Merc Enthusiast's special Pagoda section was very informative.  One thing which was striking was their discussion of car value as it relates to color combo.  They state that dark blue with cream interior is the most desirable color combo (this is wonderful news to me, because that's what I have!  :) ), but I was surprised to read that red is the worst color.  What do some of you guys think about all this?

Joe
71 280SL
03 E320
04 E320

Download Attachment: img2.jpg
62.38 KB

Klaus

Re: Color combos
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2005, 09:53:44 »
Hmmm...its a British magazine.
In Germany red is the worst color because the Polizei gives it a speeding ticket even when it stands still.
In Ireland green is the worst color because on the Green Isle the car is invisible and gets run over.
In the Netherlands blue is the worst color because the Dutch build a dam around anything blue.
Etc.
 :D

Klaus
1969 280 SL

Ricardo

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2005, 10:41:57 »
Oh...this is fun...
In Canada white is the worst color...no not because you can't find it in the snow, but because after you find and drive it, it really shows the rust from the salt....
In the US, silver could be the worst ....you look like you got more money than me...
This could be a whole chapter in the coming workshop manual...we can all use a little comic relief from losing our hair over these cars  :D

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2005, 11:13:05 »
quote:
Originally posted by Klaus

In Germany red is the worst color because the Polizei gives it a speeding ticket even when it stands still.

Klaus
1969 280 SL

Here in the States we call it "arrest-me red" for exactly the same reason!

I was amused at the assertion that red with a black interior is unpopular.  My boss has a concours winning 22,000 mile 1969 280SL 4sp manual in that very combination!  Somehow I don't think he would agree...  ;^)

- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havanna Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

terry shores

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2005, 20:38:26 »
I had heard a long time ago that Red was the Germans least favorite color.  I don't agree.  Red turns my CRANK!!

Download Attachment: redsl3.jpg
51.74 KB

Ben

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2005, 03:44:42 »
quote:
In Ireland green is the worst color because on the Green Isle the car is invisible and gets run over.

:D   Actually there are few green cars over here, it was a superstition that it was bad luck to drive a green car. Then there came a huge wave of Green as manufacturers released an array of new models in fetching dark green metallic !

There seems to have been distinct trends over here with new cars in the last 15 years, white, wine metallic, grey metallic, silver and now black.

With these older cars we basically take what we can get as most cars are imported since very few pagodas were ever sold here from new. I think again its a trend based upon what is familiar to you on new cars at the time !!

Regards,
Ben in Ireland.
'64 230SL 4sp.

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2005, 09:13:16 »
Just remember, that good guys always wear white (trimmed in blue if possible...)  8)

Download Attachment: guzzi.jpg
25.95 KB

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

TR

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2005, 09:21:51 »
James -- Lovely...I like the front license plate too.

Tom in Boise
(signal-red)

Bob G ✝︎

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2005, 09:29:03 »
Just my own opinion, I think these cars look good in light colors with a dark color hard top and matching interior. My own car is 158 White grey with a black hardtop and 040 black MB Tex interior.

Bob Geco

ChrisInNashville

• Silver
  • USA, TN, Nashville
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2005, 18:18:50 »
Originally, mine was Moss Green Metallic (page 110 of Original Mercedes SL) with Cognac.

The prior owner moved to Southern Ca. in the mid 80's and her HAIRDRESSER at Vidal Sassoon told her a green car was bad luck, so, she painted it red.

While I wouldn't have done that, I still love it as it is.   Someday, I'll get the $10,000 paint job...and when I do, I'll likely leave it red.

Keep in mind, I'm a conservative banker, so this is the only 'vroom' I have in my life!   Otherwise, I drive a GREEN Lexus!

Here's my pic - along with the other three precious things in my life:   http://www.chris.tietz.com
« Last Edit: June 02, 2005, 18:22:04 by christietz »
‘69 280 SL
‘24 GLE450e
Tennessee, USA

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, Jacksonville
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2005, 19:00:48 »
My car is Classic White, (050 I think) with Congnac interior.  I have it in the shop for a bare metal paint job.  I agonized over what color to paint it.  Purests said "It must be original", I examined a dozen colors with the interior.  I finally decided that I had to go with the original off white because, with all that chrome, the dash board just looks funny in any shade of red or green.

But they haven't started to paint yet, maybe you can persuade me.

Ray
'68 280SL 4-spd Coupe
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe

hauser

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2005, 20:34:15 »
I believe this is just a matter of opinion.  I remember that back in the mid to late eighties Paul Isringhausen was looking for these cars.  He was very specific that he wanted and would pay top dollar for dark exteriors with light interiors.  Perhaps it was just the trend back then?  I also remember he had a 280sl advertised that was dark green with a tan interior.  It was a very rich looking color combo.

1969 280sl 5 spd
Gainesville, Fl.

n/a

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2005, 22:31:16 »
Great discussion, as always.  In the end, I concur with Hauser.  I think it's all a matter of opinion and really personal taste.  We are all passionate about our Pagodas - whichever color suits your personal preference best should be the most valuable!

Joe

71 280SL
04 E320
03 E320

n/a

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2005, 23:08:08 »
Had to add my two cents worth. My 67 250 SL was ordered in dark blue with cognac full leather.  It wears it's original paint and leather patina with surprising grace for a 38 year old!!
Naturally, I am partial to the dark coloured cars,  but love the classic white as well.

Fred
1967 250 SL
1994 E500

Download Attachment: Benzi 011.jpg
36.77 KB

Download Attachment: Benzi 008.jpg
23.34 KB

Download Attachment: Benzi 012.jpg
21.14 KB

hauser

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2005, 23:27:25 »
There are a few colors that I personally would not want...  strawberry, yellow and copper.

1969 280sl 5 spd
Gainesville, Fl.

TR

« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2005, 05:46:19 »
I tend to agree that color combos can be matter of the times.  For example, I recall seeing a 300SL roadster that was a horrid mixture of colors (yellow/blue/green) ... yipes!  Yet it was, well, interesting.

I've never seen a W113 in yellow (thank goodness) ... suspect it would look like a piece of construction equipment.

Tom in Boise
'71 280SL 4-spd, signal-red w/lt. tan leather, restored/enhanced

pagodino

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2005, 13:07:57 »
Well my car was originally white, but it was completly repaintetr in DB 519 red and the italian police love it! It's like that this colour is born for Ferrari and Maserati and they are more tollerant with my guiding anyway (we followed the last Mille Miglia).
But my favorit for a Pagoda (280), 3.5 Coupè o Cabrio is DB 387 with black trimming. The old ones (230,250, fintails) I prefer in "pastel" not metalic like DB 050 o DB 904. The 108-109 are fine in DB 906.

But that's a matter of tast.

Saluti pagodino

Download Attachment: Email230slbis.jpg
3.24 KB

Pagodino

glcg123

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • Canada, MB, Winnipeg
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2005, 21:51:33 »
I have a rather rare colour combination:

1965 230SL - 66,000 miles
717 Papyrus white
217 1011 turquoise interior
040 black hardtop, soft top, and wheel caps

The paint is in outstanding condition and there is no rust. This is likely due to undercoating when new, and no winter driving. However the former owner, my neighbour for the past 25 years, did have a cottage at a lake. The roads were gravel and the car did sustain stone chips on the rocker panels and behind the rear wheels. Rather than attempt to match paint or do a complete repaint, in 1993 he had the Lexus dealer walnut shell blast these areas. They painted them silver and also applied stone guard on the rocker panels. It looks "factory" to the average person but unfortunately is not 100% original, like everything else on the car. I have been touching up the odd stone chip with enamel that I obtained from an auotbody supply house. Fortunately the paint is a dead match.

The car runs great and loves to rev. It sat idle for 9 years until I bought it last year from their estate. Once I got it all fluids and filters were changed, fuel tank removed, cleaned and lined, fuel transfer pump dismantled and reassembled, CSV removed and cleaned, new points, cap, rotor and condenser installed. The plugs had been changed at 60,000 miles and they were fine. I also installed new Bilstein shocks and Boge steering damper. I got these parts from Miller Benz in California. They did a good job for me. Engine work and the intial services as outlined above were done by Tony Rocha of Continental Car here in Winnipeg. He services all of the exotics including Ferrari and is fully trained on the Bosch mechanical injection system.

This spring he installed for me a complete new MB exhaust from the exhaust manifolds back. He had to use a lot of heat to unseize the pipes from the manifold but got them apart with no damage. He welded the system up as per factory and painted it with flat black heat paint. This has made a world of difference in sound and performance. I had a custom system put on when I got the car but hated it from day 1. It did not sound like a sports car and the car seemd to gasp around the 4,700 rpm mark. With the new system it runs up to 6000+ rpm with no hesitation. I purchased the system off of EBay.

The only major items previously done were a set of valve guides at about 60,00 miles and the top end of the tranny was rebuilt at about 57,00 miles. The car has all bills for the past 25 years including the original dleivery paperwork from the dealer. I suspect that the bills for the first 15 years were misplaced when he moved to our street.

As a sidepoint I met the fellow who was the service manager at the Benz dealer, Mark Motors, when the car was ordered. He recoginized the car on the street and came to talk to me about it. It seems that the interior colour delayed delivery for at least 6 months!

I consider myself extremely fortunate to have such a machine that runs so well. The interior may be a bit unique but I like to think of it as retro.

I will supply more pictures once I detail the engine bay.

Download Attachment: Interior.jpg
83.44 KB

Download Attachment: Side view.jpg
66.16 KB

TR

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2005, 22:29:19 »
glcg123 -- Turquoise interior...hmmm...I like it!

Tom in Boise
'71 280SL 4-spd, signal red w/lt. tan interior, restored/enhanced

TA250SL

« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2005, 00:09:37 »
My car is also dark blue with a cream interior, but I am also very fond of signal red.  The first Pagoda I can remember from many years ago was red.   Today I see 2 or 3 Pagoda's every week, but almost never see a red one.  Maybe they have been repainted to a less sporty color by subsequent owners.

Download Attachment: pagodarear.jpg
73.15 KB

Tom
1967 250SL
Los Angeles

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2005, 15:39:57 »
quote:
Originally posted by glcg123

I have a rather rare colour combination:

1965 230SL - 66,000 miles
717 Papyrus white
217 1011 turquoise interior
040 black hardtop, soft top, and wheel caps

Download Attachment: Interior.jpg
83.44 KB

What a lovely and unique interior - so very 60's!

- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havanna Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2005, 16:39:21 »
I see each color as having its own personality. In my opinion, the dark blue, dark green, that awesome burgundy ebay car, and the bronzes say classy and sporty. Signal red and Silver w/red say racy and sporty. The whites and lighter blues say light and sporty. Now, before anyone assaults me, they all have some of these traits and more...!

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2005, 20:44:49 »
They don't call it resale red for nothing. The Rocket is signal red.

I worked on so many white cars a few years ago I really got sick of them. Unless you have really good crome silver or white isn't a good choice. The chrome just hides on silver or white cars.

Many colors tend to come in and out of fashion. A while back it was shades of green - somehing to do with being greener driving your smog producing car. As if.

The darker the colour the more it shows dirt and body imperfections. It's why quick sales with cheezy body work are always white. Hardest colour to move is brown, although it really doesn't look bad on these cars. ( must be dark brown )

Dan Caron's
 SL Barn
benzbarn@ebtech.net
 slbarn.mbz.org
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC