Author Topic: AC Removal Help  (Read 3780 times)

n/a

AC Removal Help
« on: May 22, 2005, 13:50:29 »
I need to remove the dealer installed AC unit in my 66 230sl. How is that done? I need to replace the antenna and while I have the AC out is it a good time to replace the carpet? One thing leads to another.

Thanks,
Brian 66 230sl Signal Red

jeffc280sl

Re: AC Removal Help
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2005, 17:31:37 »
Hi Brian,

Just took my A/C system out for cleaning and service.  I would disconnect the hoses in the engine compartment nearest the firewall.  On the inside here is a bracket up against the lower firewall on the passengers side.  Near where your toes would be.

There are a series of 4 or so plastic plugs on the lower part of the A/C unit underneath the front deflectors.  Pop the plugs out and you will see 7/16 in or so bolt heads and large washers.  These bolts go up through the lower edge of the dashboard frame and hold most of the weight of the A/C assembly.  I think it just slides forward and out after taking them out.  Makes getting to the antenna a breeze.  The passenger side carpet in my car was trimmed around the A/C.  Don't know if it's original or a lazy prior owner who forgot to tuck it under the A/C before reinstalling the assembly.  It's a simple job.  Taking the compressor out is more difficult.  Are you going to do this also?

Jeff C.
1970 280SL 4-speed

n/a

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2005, 11:52:40 »
Thanks for your input. I took off the two plugs on the bottom of the plastic unit just under the golve box and didn't see the bolts but I didn't have my glasses on. I will look again. I am going to keep the unit in the car. Just wanted to fix some things.

Thanks
Brian
66 230sl

n/a

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2005, 12:18:59 »
I have removed the glove box, checked the firewall and still don't see the connecting bolts or screws that hold the ac to the dash - any suggestions?

jeffc280sl

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2005, 13:03:35 »
Hi Brian,

There are four plastic plugs on the bootom side of the A/C unit maybe 2 inches in from the front lip. If you remove the plug and shine a light in the hole you should see a bolt head with washer. You need to be looking vertically through the hole towards the windshield to see the bolts.   The bolt screws vertcally into the bottom sheet metal support of the dash board assembly.  These 4 bolts screw into the underside of the same support frame section that the lower glove box screws down into.

Jeff C.
1970 280SL 4-speed

Kenneth Gear

• Silver
  • USA, VA, Fairfax Station
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2005, 14:59:45 »
My A/C was removed by my car's previous owner so while I can't offer any experience about the process of taking it out... I can provide any pictures you may need of the unit that has been removed.

As I recall the main plumbing attachment is in the rear of the unit under the glove box area, the other mounting points are in the front of the unit at the lip of the dash.

Ken G
1971 280 SL
Silver/red
Ken G
1971 280 SL Silver/red

ChrisInNashville

• Silver
  • USA, TN, Nashville
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2005, 21:41:40 »
I need to do the same thing...for the same reason.

How long should this exercise take?
‘69 280 SL
‘24 GLE450e
Tennessee, USA