Author Topic: California Coupe  (Read 6773 times)

willsam

California Coupe
« on: June 03, 2005, 12:50:44 »
Hello,
I am in need of technical assistance with the rear seat upholstry in a California Coupe.  I have seen 3 cars, all different.  The local car has a flat seat, no pleats.  The 2 cars I have seen pictures of had big pleats about 8" wide and the other had small pleats about 3" wide.  Does anyone know what is correct?  Can you supply me pictures of what is correct?  Thank you, Will Samples

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
Re: California Coupe
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2005, 14:25:32 »
Will,

Hello and welcome to the Group!  I recall seeing coupe pictures from the SL-Days event in Germany that celebrated the 40th anniversary of the W113 Pagoda.  I'll see if I can find those on the internet or on my computer when I get home.

The only problem with that is, who's to say what is in the pictures is "correct"?

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL auto "Italian"

willsam

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2005, 14:31:58 »
Thank you Rodd.
I agree with you as to who is to say what is correct.  I saw we have one member with a California Coupe who might know what is correct.  And I was hoping someone else might shed some light on the question.  Will

rwmastel

• Platinum
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2005, 14:38:12 »
I think we do have a few members with coupes (full back seats).  I also think we have several members who might remember what these coupes looked like when brand new.

Do you know your German?  Here's the SL Club Pagode's summary of their event:
http://www.sl-club-pagode.de/html/jahrestreffen/jahrestreffen2003.htm

A member of ours also wrote about it in our Pagoda World magazine.

Here's some pictures on line of SL Day.
http://www.sl-day.de/html/bilder.html

More:
http://share.shutterfly.com/action/share/view?i=EeAMmLdu0bMWrhQ&x=1&sm=0&sl=0&open=1

You could ask these three members who were there:
http://index.php?topic=717

More:
http://index.php?topic=432

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1994 E420
« Last Edit: June 03, 2005, 14:47:50 by rwmastel »
Rodd

2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon

Ricardo

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2005, 16:36:22 »
Hey Will
Good to see your name here...you won't remember me but a couple of years back you were very helpful to me with advice, parts and manuals, I'm glad to get a chance to help you a little.
My '67 250SL, originally a topless coupe delivered to Stuttgart, has since had a top added, but I believe the bench seat is the original leather. The rest of my interior was redone but the rear seat appears to me, to be a slightly different color of cognac, shows more wear and the way in which the materials are put together looks untouched. Of course the seat back was altered to fit the top well addition but the back was cut down and the leather restapled.
Hope this helps
Richard Vezeau
Shawville, Quebec

Download Attachment: reduced benchseat.jpg
55.86 KB

zanone

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2005, 18:40:06 »
My Calif. Coupe and others I've seen have a non-pleated seat.
http://24.56.70.142/~zanone/sl/sl_index.html

Klaus

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2005, 08:52:41 »
I have been in Speyer at the SL day and have photos of two California Coupes, but they had a softtop added and the back of the bench folded down, so you did not see the seating surface.
Engelen has a photo in his book of a CA Coupe with MB Tex seat, straight flat, not pleated.

Klaus
1969 280 SL

• Platinum
  • Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Tecklenburg
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2005, 16:46:35 »
Hello Will, Klaus & others,

Unfortunately I also do not know too much about the pattern of the rear seat bench.
However, I strongly believe this depends on whether you have MB-TEX (vinyl) or leather.
All Califonia SLs which I remember to have seen with leather interior have had pleads. SLs with vinyls might be without ... I am not sure...

Tried to attach a pic but it doesn't work ...
Please try Naj's picture site under

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/share/view?i=EeAMmLdu0bMWrhQ&pg=1&sm=0&sl=0

Picture no 052.jpg shows a California Coupe with the pleats which I think are original.

Good luck!

Best,

Achim
(Magdeburg, Germany)
Achim
(Germany)

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, Jacksonville
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2005, 20:17:36 »
My '68 coupe has MB Tex and no pleats.  It was a "California Coupe".

Ray
'68 280SL 4-spd Coupe
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe

rwmastel

• Platinum
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2005, 08:55:19 »
quote:
Originally posted by 114015

Unfortunately I also do not know too much about the pattern of the rear seat bench.  However, I strongly believe this depends on whether you have MB-TEX (vinyl) or leather.
Last year I bought a very nice leather recliner chair for my home.  To save money, they provided the option of having "imitation leather" on the arms, sides, and back of the chair.  We were told that the good quality leather does not come in wide enough pieces to span the whole side or back of a chair, so you can always tell the true leather ones by the seam connecting the pieces together.  This may explain the pleats in the leather bench seats.  (I got the full leather.)

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1994 E420
Rodd

2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon

willsam

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2005, 14:00:12 »
You guys are a wealth of knowledge.  Plus I got to hear from old friends.  I have looked at all the photos you supplied or referenced and combined that with who had pleats or flat seats and who had leather or MB Tex.  I agree that it appears leather seats were pleated and MB Tex were flat.  This is reinforced by the fact that the original seat I have is flat MB Tex.  It may well have been dictated by the limitations of the size of hides available.  But I think you all nailed this tech question.  Thank you very much.  Will Samples

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2005, 15:50:12 »
This must be a first; Will getting information out of the Pagoda site instead of the other way around. Great to see you here, you were instrumental in getting the old Yahoo! group going and without that site, this one might never have come into being.
BTW the engine parts you supplied for my engine rebuild in Ohio back in the summer of 2003 are humming along in my car in Amsterdam.

Cees ("Case") Klumper in Amsterdam
'69 white 280 SL automatic
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

willsam

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2005, 18:05:57 »
Hello Cees,
Thank you for the kind thoughts.  I like to think that everyday I learn something new about these cars.  That is part of the fun, part of the adventure.  And I am always happy to pass on what I know.  Glad the motor is running well.  All your parts are genuine German made and so far I have been pleased with the quality overall.  Thanks again, Will