Author Topic: Where to Buy a Battery?  (Read 3861 times)

n/a

Where to Buy a Battery?
« on: June 18, 2005, 11:14:11 »
I need a new one - I live in Atlanta - Should I go to the Mercedes Dealer? - or not?

Douglas

Re: Where to Buy a Battery?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2005, 11:23:14 »
Doug,

It depends on how particular you are about your engine bay. You can certainly go out and get an Interstate or Sears battery or some other reputable brand for a lot less, but many prefer a factory battery. Mind you, the factory battery costs far more, is probably an inferior product to a Diehard battery for the warranty alone, and bears no resemblance to the original factory battery from the 60s/70s.

The dealer is probably the best choice if you go the factory route because most parts distributors don't like to ship batteries.

Douglas Kim
New York, NY
280 SL #016220
« Last Edit: June 18, 2005, 11:25:33 by Douglas »

Bob G ✝︎

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2005, 13:19:39 »
Do not buy the Mercedes-Benz battery. They do not last long are over priced at $130.00 do not come filled with electrolite and are terrible if you do not drive the car every day. I purchased an interstate Megatron  battery after seeing them in many SLs on display at Fashion Island . My cost was $68.00 it was a bargin also do not forget to clean the battery tray ater removal of the old battery & before you install the  new battery . You can buy what are called battery mats and that lay down beneith the battery to protect against corrision. Also do not for get to put the top shield back on top the battery and clean the contacts for positive & negitive ground cables. I use a GM battery pad on each post  that you can buy from your local auto parts store.
Bob Geco
« Last Edit: June 18, 2005, 13:22:17 by Bob G »

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, Jacksonville
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2005, 06:47:31 »
I agree, the Varta batteries that MB sells just plain suck.

Does anyone have an opinion of Optima batteries?

Ray
'68 280SL 4-spd Coupe
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2005, 08:46:07 »
Call me Plebian but I think Sears Diehards are the way to go. They last and the warranty is good.

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

TR

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2005, 08:50:26 »
Ray -- Yes, I've used Optima in my '71 280SL for a number of years.  I can recommend them.  Had a special battery tray/holder made for Optima...even had it done with rounded lips to match the Optima form ... did it out of stainless, then had it polished.  It's been long enough that I don't remember if an Optima will fit the std. battery tray, but I doubt it.

Tom in Boise
'71 280SL 4-spd, signal red w/lt. tan interior, restored/enhanced