Author Topic: Soft Top Shims?  (Read 2546 times)

bpossel

Soft Top Shims?
« on: July 06, 2005, 17:53:23 »
I recently had my soft top canvas replaced.  Now I need to adjust the windows, top to fit better.

I have adjusted the windows as far as I can, so looks like I need to adjust the top to get a better fit.

Can I remove the shims without removing the springs?  Do the shims have open end holes so I can slide them out, or are they closed end, whereby I need to remove both bolts and lift up on the bracket to pull the shims off?

I dont want to appear lazy but....  I cut the tip off of my pinky finger yesterday while cutting the rubber soft top window trim to fit.  So.....  with the injury I cant pull the spring off.  Hoping I can simply slide the shims off....

Thanks!
Bob

bpossel
Memphis, TN.
1971 280SL
1997 E320

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
Re: Soft Top Shims?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2005, 18:40:29 »
OUCH!

- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havanna Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

hauser

Re: Soft Top Shims?
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2005, 18:42:17 »
Gernold once told me the windows should first be adjusted with the hardtop on.  The soft top should be adjusted without the (large) springs in place.  Once these springs are on adjusting is almost impossible.  I went through alot of trial and error when I replaced my new top.  One of my biggest mistakes is that I did not mark the original location of the soft top.

The top should be bolted securly before the springs are put on.

1969 280sl 5 spd
Gainesville, Fl.