Author Topic: Standing on the Softtop to close it! @#%^&  (Read 4217 times)

ChrisInNashville

• Silver
  • USA, TN, Nashville
Standing on the Softtop to close it! @#%^&
« on: June 26, 2005, 06:56:30 »
Well, I've reviewed the Sargeant Softtop Closing Method post from '03:

http://index.php?topic=436

Unfortunately, it's not working for me and I'm desperate!

Here's my problem:

The only way that I can lock down the back of my softtop is to climb on the car and stand on the canvas (immediately above the pin) and drive my heel down (I'm 190 lbs and it often takes considerable effort for it to engage!).   Plus I can't do this in my business attire or on a date with my wife and maintain my calm/cool appearance!

I've removed the softtop compartment cover to check alignment of the pin with the hook.   Without the cover, it latches with minimal effort and lines up well.    So, the cover must be the problem.    

Taking queue from the above post, I adjusted the latch bolts and raised the latch higher.    Still no result.

I've also slammed it down using the Sargeant Method, but only noise results with no "click" from a connection.

I took a picture of the hole for alignment and it seems aligned (without the chrome hole cover):

http://www.chris.tietz.com/latchhole.jpg

I've removed and adjusted the chrome hole cover...again, no result.

I'm at my wits end on this.

Has anyone fixed this problem before?   Any ideas?

Thanks,
Chris
‘69 280 SL
‘24 GLE450e
Tennessee, USA

A Dalton

Re: Standing on the Softtop to close it! @#%^&
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2005, 10:01:28 »
You want to check that the release handle is not sticking in the up position . If it does , the catch won't click in to lock.

I always find a tight top is easiest to do the rear first and then the front ..

ChrisInNashville

• Silver
  • USA, TN, Nashville
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2005, 10:20:19 »
This was my first thought, months ago, so I've always checked this and it's never a problem
‘69 280 SL
‘24 GLE450e
Tennessee, USA

bpossel

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2005, 10:43:18 »
Hi Chris,

A couple of months ago, I had my canvas replaced.  I took the old canvas off myself and cleaned the frame.  With the canvas off, I noticed that the bottom bow, the one that has the pin on it, actually can be adjusted forward and back by loosening a few bolts close to the lower hinge of the frame.  These bolts are close to the lower rubber seal that's on the bow.  With the bolts loose, I lowered the bow (pin) into the hole on the trunk.  With all lined up, I tightened the bolts.  Took a few tries to get the rear bow (pin) to snap into the locking mechanism.

Now that the new canvas is on, to engage my rear bow, I simply drop it from about 3 inches high.  It snaps into the locking mechanism very easily.

I am not sure if you can (or should) loosen and adjust the lower bow bolts as I have described with the canvas installed???  Not sure if you will loose the "tightness" of the rear canvas?

This is just another idea...  maybe contact Gernold and ask his advise.  He was very gracious and answered several questions that I had when I was cleaning and restoring my frame.

Good Luck!
Bob

bpossel
Memphis, TN.
1971 280SL
1997 E320

TR

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2005, 11:33:00 »
I'm awaiting the day someone will come up with a powered version of the soft top for us.

That'll probably happen just before hell freezes over.

Tom in Boise
'71 280SL 4-spd, signal red w/lt. tan interior, restored/enhanced

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2005, 14:10:18 »
Hi Chris,

here's an observation that may amount to nothing...

I just looked at my soft-case latch. Looking from above, like your photo, I notice my hook seems closer to the front of the car. Yours appears almost centered on the hole, whereas mine is only partially visible. Could be optical illusion since your chrome is off? Not sure.

Mine is an early version where back latches first. It snaps right in. Then a little muscle allows front pegs to drop in. Total time to get top up or down is 30 seconds or so.

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

ChrisInNashville

• Silver
  • USA, TN, Nashville
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2005, 14:15:19 »
Bob, that was the fix - IT WORKS! But, it was the lateral alignment, not front and back. I had to seemingly put the two sides out of line (by visual comparison)to make it work.   Passenger side needed to be about 1/2 inch farther from the 'bend in the frame' relative to the same position on the driver's side

I've found another problem that contributes, but that will be a different post after I take my very patient daughter to BestBuy for stereo speakers!!!

James, I also readjusted the latch assembly, again visually tilting it to the right.   I think both these changes in combination created the solution.

Bob, I certainly wished we knew each other when I lived near you in Memphis five years ago!   I'll look forward to meeting you on the Ohio 2005 road trip!

Thanks Guys,
Chris
« Last Edit: June 26, 2005, 14:17:28 by christietz »
‘69 280 SL
‘24 GLE450e
Tennessee, USA

bpossel

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2005, 05:42:19 »
Hi Chris,

Glad I could provide some advice.  That's what makes this forum and this group so nice.  We can share information.
Hopefully you will get it all fixed in time for the Ohio event.
Looking forward to meeting you and the others!
Bob

bpossel
Memphis, TN.
1971 280SL
1997 E320
« Last Edit: June 27, 2005, 05:42:56 by bpossel »

waltklatt

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2005, 07:32:24 »
Hello Chris,

Wow, standing on your car to close the top must be a sight, not for the faint of heart.
The latching mechanism below the softtop case cover can be adjusted.  Seems that it's a tad bit too low for the latch to engage fully to the pin on the bow.  Try raising the latch and tighten the 2 10mm bolts again to see what happens.
Hope this helps.
If you need a new latching cable assembly I have 2 of them.

Walter

ChrisInNashville

• Silver
  • USA, TN, Nashville
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2005, 19:28:23 »
Walt - faint of heart????    The sight of a short guy barefoot in a Brooks Brothers suit, climbing onto the trunk of the car...faint of heart or stupid...I'm not sure!

By the way, got the package today.   Thanks very much!

‘69 280 SL
‘24 GLE450e
Tennessee, USA

Sphe

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2005, 19:54:58 »
I'd love to see a pic of that

Eugene
1965 230SL, Max Speed: Zero