Author Topic: Front wheel bearings  (Read 3557 times)

n/a

Front wheel bearings
« on: May 27, 2003, 10:29:49 »
113 Members:

I am going to grease my front wheel bearings.  Any tips?  Any parts I shoud pre-order?

Thank you,
Rupert 8)

1965 230 SL "Maude:

Ricardo

Re: Front wheel bearings
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2003, 22:25:21 »
Rupert
If you don't have a copy, you should try to find the Big Blue Book, the MB workshop manual that covers early 113's. I can't recall the specific instructions off the top of my head, but I believe the bearings require thorough cleaning, in a specified manner,(NO high speed spinning with compressed air) and then a measured amount of the correct wheel bearing grease is worked into the bearing and a little more is installed into the grease cup. The correct tightening sequence involves turning the disc/hub by hand tightening the axle clamp/nut,until turning becomes stiff, backing off a third of a turn, then rapping the side of the spindle with a hammer. It's pretty easy to overtighten, which will wear them out quickly and under tightening will make them noisy and wear quickly too. I know this isn't very specific, I don't have my BBB in the house, but it isn't quite as simple as the old American iron used to be. I know these manuals aren't cheap, but if you plan to do maintenance yourself, they are a worthwhile investment. They come up on ebay from time to time, but they may be available from MB. Give Doug a call at Ogalvie Motors and if he needs the number I can give it to him. I know Will Samples at SS Imports in Texas had them too
Richard V