Author Topic: New Front Bumper  (Read 2858 times)

Mike

New Front Bumper
« on: July 02, 2005, 10:52:51 »
I need a new bumper.  I see that there are always a bunch for sale on ebay and they are priced right.  For example, see item No. 4558776707.  Anyone have any experience with these?   Are they reasonably close to the original?  The lister of this item claims it weighs more than the original leading me to conclude that it must not be too thin and flimsy.

Michael L. Hund

Douglas

Re: New Front Bumper
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2005, 12:00:11 »
Michael,

Run a search on repro bumpers. I remember I prompted a thread on these. As I recall, they were decent, but not terrific.

Can you re-chrome your original?

Douglas Kim
New York, NY
280 SL #016220

113gray

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2005, 17:59:05 »
Mike, I went thro this last year & decided to chance the Miller bumpers rather than use the OEM Mercedes ones. My car is a nice driver & not a "show" car & these I bought were very good quality & fit @ about 35-40% of MB prices. They run a sale 2-3X a year also. IMHO Miller's is less a gamble than is eBay in most instances. I had my rear ones rechromed. Good luck,    -JP-

Douglas

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2005, 18:56:21 »
JP,

Are there any telltale signs that indicate it's aftermarket/repro vs. OEM? How is the backside finished? Is there any difference in weight?

Douglas Kim
New York, NY
280 SL #016220

113gray

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2005, 11:29:17 »
Hi Doug. Of course, I did not have a stock new MB bumper at hand to compare. I also didn't weigh mine before installation, but I did check metal thickness at several points with a caliper & the measurements were identical to the old one which I believe is original. The new one fit perfectly. The back was unpainted (chrome) & I spray painted it with 2 coats of Krylon almond spray paint which is virtually identical to the correct MB paint I understand. The center piece is stainless as is my original. There was a tiny chrome scuff that almost takes a magnifying glass to see at the outside curve on the DS over an area about 1 cm square, very superficial. You can't see it unless you know it's there & get really close. Other than that, the chrome is near perfect & remains so over a year later. Bottom line: I'm very pleased. On another matter, we will all miss you & Richard Madison at Johio's later this month. Regards,     -JP-