Author Topic: Fuel breather pipe problem/hard top questions  (Read 3704 times)

n/a

Fuel breather pipe problem/hard top questions
« on: January 11, 2006, 10:45:11 »
I have strong smell of petrol in my 230 sl and small petrol leak from cap with a vacumn being formed in the tank. Likely to be blocked fuel breather pipe, but can anyone tell me which of the two small pipes is likely to be blocked - the one nearest the sky or the one nearest the boot floor.

Fuel stopped working working today (car has been parked up in damp garage for a few months with hardly any fuel in tank) Any suggestions how to fix or where to look?

Last but not least, would anyone out there we good enough to send me a close up pictures of:
1. The rear hard top leaver mechansim. Both mine work loose and rattle about which makes me think I might have a washer or two missing.
2. I have the rear hard top roof rubber but no idea how this fixes to the roof. I susspect there are some clips which may be missing from my roof. Any detailed photo of the bottom back of the hard roof would be MUCH appreciated.

Mike Scott
enquiries@lowercall.com

enochbell

Re: Fuel breather pipe problem/hard top questions
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2006, 11:31:45 »
If the cap is leaking it is likely you need a new sealing ring to replace the degraded cork.  The most common cause of the fuel smell is degraded connectors.  Check the condition of the connectors at the collection pot and behind the fuel filler neck surround inside the trunk (you will need to remove the 10 or so phillips head sheet metal screws to get at them).  If they are original (braided) then they should be replaced with modern fuel line.

Best,

g

'64 230sl, fully sorted out...ooops, spoke too soon

merrill

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2006, 11:40:55 »
Mike,
also check the fuel sender gasket,  mine was leaking for a long time before i realized it was bad.

matt
Matt
Austin Tx
66 230 sl - "white"
78 300 D - Blue
98 C230

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2006, 06:21:37 »
There have been a number of posts on this subject on the forum. Use the search feature with "gas tank" "gas smell" or similar and you should also be able to find answers to the other questions you ask about.

Jonny B
1967 250SL Auto
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

George Davis

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2006, 09:13:07 »
Couple of thoughts:

both vent lines would have to be blocked to completely block the vent system.  Alternatively, the single line that comes out of the vent tank in the fender could be blocked.  Check the end of the vent line where it comes out next to the exhaust pipes.

I'd suspect more than that, though, because if you are smelling fuel the tank is not truly sealed.  Check inside the tank for rust and crud blocking the fuel pickup screen, or other fuel delivery issues.

George Davis
'69 280 SL Euro manual