Author Topic: Dwell Angle  (Read 3028 times)

TerenceD

Dwell Angle
« on: July 16, 2005, 06:59:48 »
My car is running terribly at the moment.  I am trying to tune it up as best as I can to get it to Dan's.

To that end I was trying to read the dwell angle on my 280sl.  

1. I put one wire of the meter to ground and I tried the other wire to the coil
2. I also tried one wire of the meter to ground, and the other wire to the green wire from the condenser.
3. I could not get a wire onto terminal 7 of the ignition junction below the battery (too tight a fit)

The numbers on my guage just bounced around so fast I could not get a reading.  When I hold the wires off the car, into the air, a reading of 59.6 comes up.

I am unsure of how to check the dwell angle in my car ?

I believe the car has several running issues, but I want to start with ignition, to try to get that sorted out as best as I can.  Yesterday I had it running decently, but when I went for a drive, it progressively got worse, so it is back to the drawing board.  Luckily it is a sunny day here and there is a nice breeze.

Thanks,
Terence

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
Re: Dwell Angle
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2005, 22:47:07 »
On most cars with CD ( capacitive discharge ) ignition there's a green coil wire. This wire usually goes to a junction box that has a smal metal post near the end of the wire. This is where you connect your positive probe from a dwell meter.

On the earlier cars you just hook on to the positive side of the coil but it won't work on  CD ignition cars.

Dan Caron's
 SL Barn
benzbarn@ebtech.net
 slbarn.mbz.org
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC