Author Topic: Front Suspension & Alignment  (Read 3598 times)

n/a

Front Suspension & Alignment
« on: July 23, 2005, 06:20:50 »
I recently went to have my front wheels aligned.  I was told that they could not align them, because my "ball joints" needed to be replaced.

Could someone educate me on this.  Are they actually talking about my king pins?  What should the cost of this run, when done by a reputable shop?

Thanks for any information.

Elliott Avery
1969 280SL
Silver w/Black Interior
Four Speed Manual
Original Owner

P.S. You would think I would have had this done before, but I do not remember it.

mbzse

• Platinum
  • Sweden, Stockholm, Stockholm
Re: Front Suspension & Alignment
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2005, 06:32:59 »
quote:
Originally posted by eavery

../.. my "ball joints" needed to be replaced.

The only ball joints mounted in your front suspension are in the steering linkage.
Part 115 and 116, upper right in this image, plus the track rod (middle).
http://upl.silentwhisper.net/uplfolders/upload2/Front_suspension_parts_W113.gif

/Hans in Stockholm
« Last Edit: July 23, 2005, 06:36:10 by mbzse »
/Hans S

Douglas

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2005, 07:22:24 »
Elliott,

I think they're talking about the l&r tie rods. They're inexpensive. Under $40 each. There's also the center drag link between the two that is a good idea to change. I think that's also in the same ballpark, price-wise. And while you're at it, you should change the steering shock/dampener. That's a $20 part. And while you're at it......

Douglas Kim
New York, NY
280 SL #016220

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2005, 11:44:16 »
quote:
Originally posted by Douglas

Elliott,

I think they're talking about the l&r tie rods. They're inexpensive. Under $40 each. There's also the center drag link between the two that is a good idea to change. I think that's also in the same ballpark, price-wise. And while you're at it, you should change the steering shock/dampener. That's a $20 part. And while you're at it......

Douglas Kim
New York, NY
280 SL #016220

...which is precisely why my car turned out the way it did.  "while you're at it" became a mantra recited over a 2.5 year period!  Any wear item in the suspension is suspect after 30+ years, particularly if OTHER ones start to go.  My suspension was pulled apart ONCE, everything replaced ONCE, and hopefully (with regularing greasings?) good for another 50,000 miles...

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Signal Red w/Black Leather
Restored
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

TR

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2005, 12:07:34 »
Elliott -- I agree with Michael.  I just had the entire suspension gone thru ... everything (hopefully) has been replaced.  I started having a little done at a time, but then quickly figured out it would be more cost-effective to do it all.

So far I've only driven it a few miles (it's currently back in the mechanics' hands for addt'l cooling work) ... but I dearly love the tightness of that new suspension.  My little test was crossing some railroad tracks ... quiet & smooth; sounded and felt just like a new car.

Still, I might yet go back and have the new Mechatronic springs & shocks put in at some point.  However, I'd like to get some feedback first from others who might have already done this.  A few months ago Gernold told me he was working on getting a Mechatronic suspesion installation or two done, but I have no idea how happy Gernold and the end-user(s) might now be.  Can anyone comment on this?

Tom in Boise
'71 280SL 4-spd, signal red w/lt. tan interior, restored/enhanced