Author Topic: fuel pump hose  (Read 3984 times)

PK

fuel pump hose
« on: August 20, 2005, 17:08:28 »
working on my brake lines today and loosened the cover on the fuel pump. while "torquing" on a fitting , i knocked the line off the pump from the gas tank. Is there not supposed to be a clamp on the line at the fuel pump? I don't have one.

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
Re: fuel pump hose
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2005, 00:17:25 »
Hello PK,
Yes this line is clamped at both ends. Your lucky it did not come loose when driving or when the car was parked in the garaged!  Sometimes the clamps get rusty and fall off! Condition of fuel lines and clamps should be checked from time to time.

Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

PK

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2005, 12:31:09 »
quote:
Originally posted by ja17

Hello PK,
Yes this line is clamped at both ends. Your lucky it did not come loose when driving or when the car was parked in the garaged!  Sometimes the clamps get rusty and fall off! Condition of fuel lines and clamps should be checked from time to time.

Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio

Thank You Joe,
we've only had our 64 230sl for about a month and I've been replacing the brake lines and hoses because of a siezed caliper. Great place to start as you get a real close-up view of the other side of a neat car. Now that the tank is almost empty, I guess I'll check out the seemingly new sending unit to find out why it only registers at full and almost empty w/ the reserve light on all the time.

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2005, 05:42:19 »
PK, YES there are supposed to be clamps and make sure they are tight!  Ensure you have German style clamps as American style clamps damage the hose.

Quite recently mine was all apart and the mechanic, good though he is, failed to tighten one of the clamps on the pump.  About 4 miles out from the shop, the car began to misfire and a look in the rear view mirror had me bleeding large quantities of fuel.  Thankfully I was able to pull over (I avoided the interstate!!!) and a quick call to the place had the owner and mechanic come quickly where the loose clamp was discovered, and fuel pouring out when the pump was on.

Live and learn!  Tighten the clamps!

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Signal Red w/Black Leather
Restored
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid
2024 Ford Mustang Mach Ex PEV