Author Topic: Air Conditioning  (Read 3213 times)

bpossel

Air Conditioning
« on: July 25, 2005, 06:05:03 »
 :oops: Question, how much does running the air conditioning really "tax" our engines?  The question is both for driving in city and highway.  

I am bringing my wife along to Ohio and she is wanting me to run the air on the way up... want to keep her happy, but also need to keep my other lady happy...  :)

Thank you!
Bob

bpossel
Memphis, TN.
1971 280SL
1997 E320

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Re: Air Conditioning
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2005, 07:33:04 »
Hi Bob,

Well, we'll be happy to see both of you!

As for "taxing" an engine--I'm not sure what you mean.  For sure, you will perhaps get a few less MPG, but how that compares to the increased wind drag of top-down and or windows-open driving is subject only to testing and speculation on our cars.  On a modern vehicle, there is absolutely no doubt--highway driving with the air on consumes less fuel then window open driving.  It's a mantra the automotive HVAC guys have been singing for some time, but if you look at many cars on the highway, they are not believers or the air doesn't work or they just like a lot of noise and wind blowing around!

Highway driving or even secondary road driving with your air on shouldn't cause you any issues.  If you get stuck in a traffic jam, your temp might climb a bit, and you might need or want to turn off the a/c, but if you are cruising, go with comfort.  Keep the wife happy!

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Signal Red w/Black Leather
Restored
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

zanone

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2005, 08:16:01 »
Bob,

Leave the wife at home so the extra passenger weight won't "tax" the engine and then you can use the A/C for yourself or.... have her drive the other Mercedes behind you in case of car trouble on the road. Spare tank I gave you should make it easy for her to walk to the nearest gas station if needed so fill it with water since you will be topping off your Pagoda tank when possible. Hope this helps. DZ

bpossel

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2005, 10:36:27 »
 :D Dennis, that's funny!  The spare tire MB Jerry can that you gave me is too cool!  Too nice to use for gas!  I might have to fill it up with martini's...  Thanks again!

:?: Mike, my question on "taxing" refers to engine strain.  Since the radiator temp seems to rise a bit when I run the AC, it would seem that some sort of strain is occuring on the engine?
Thanks,
BP

bpossel
Memphis, TN.
1971 280SL
1997 E320

George Davis

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2005, 10:58:02 »
Bob,

yes, the a/c compressor does tax the engine some. Compressors require a few horsepower, maybe 5 to 10 hp or so when it's engaged.  As long as the coolant temp stays reasonable it's not a big deal, just uses more gas.  It might be equivalent to driving at 75 rather than 65, or something like that.

George Davis
'69 280 SL Euro manual