Author Topic: 230 SL wing mirror left  (Read 1087 times)

Brennie

• Silver
  • United Kingdom, England, London
230 SL wing mirror left
« on: July 12, 2024, 05:21:55 »
Hi.. I’m looking for a left hand wing mirror.. early goose neck type for a 230/250 SL.. not a reproduction please…
Thank you

Brennie

• Silver
Re: 230 SL wing mirror left
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2024, 14:38:03 »
Thank you Bob
Phew! Shocking price….
Might have to suck it up… I wonder if the reproduction ones are any good?

gordon

• Senior
  • United Kingdom, England, Burntwood
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2024, 17:55:01 »
I bought a pair last year from Mercedes Stevenage classic parts, not expensive then. (01438737800)

I made the mistake of fitting the passenger side mirror in the same position as on the drivers side.  Looks great but almost useless as partially obscured by the door frame

Brennie

• Silver
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2024, 18:22:04 »
Thank you Gordon..
I have a RHD 280 SL but it has a swan neck 230/250 mirror on the drivers side …It came like that and I like it…I much prefer the 230 styling..there is no mirror on the passenger side…I drove the car today for the first time and feel really vulnerable without a passenger side mirror( my last Pagoda,a 230,I swapped the glass for a semi magnified ones..took 5 mins and the difference was remarkable and soooo much safer)hence the search..So,are you saying that the positioning of the mirror should be different to the drivers side? Also,I wonder if the original holes are interchangeable with 230 and 280 mirrors …are the spacing the same do you know?

BobH

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, England, MALDON
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2024, 18:36:40 »
From previous posts written, if there are holes in the left door skin, these would be in the correct position for the driver of a LHD drive car, but in the wrong position for the driver of a RHD car, the mirror will be too far forward to be of much use.  This only applies to the early mirrors, due to the shape of the neck
The best thing is to adjust your seat for your normal driving position, get someone to hold the mirror in the optimum position on the passenger door and mark the position

I don't have a passenger door mirror on my RHD car, and it can be awkward when pulling out from the right hand kerb, especially with the soft top up, with less visibility, but for normal driving i get on OK.  It would be far worse in a LHD car in the UK without a passenger mirror, almost impossible to drive safely

Have a look on here, and also look at the other link within the post, gives you dimensions of the holes for both a 230 and 280

https://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=36256.msg264930#msg264930
« Last Edit: July 12, 2024, 19:08:20 by BobH »
February 1965 230SL Automatic
UK delivered RHD
Papyrus white, blue hard top & hub caps
Blue soft top
Blue leather