Author Topic: Early Distributor Identification  (Read 531 times)

gtait

• Regular
  • Sooke, BC Canada
Early Distributor Identification
« on: July 01, 2024, 15:14:27 »
I am having difficulty identifying which model of distributor I have as the painted identification tag is almost worn off.

Through digital enhancement I it looks like it is either  a Bosch Part number 0 231 116 040 or a 0 231 116 046. Does anyone know if there is some other identifying marks or numbers like the MB part number or any other way I could identify this distributor.

Reason for confirming part number below.

I am trying to convert to the Pertronix system and I want to make sure that I identified the correct distributor for them.  Through a picture their tech team member said I would need a 1864A unit.

I installed the 1864A, Pertronix 70S210 wire and their 40511 Flame Thrower coil.

Information that may be helpful

1964 230SL with a 127 982 engine.( Looks like most external items are from original engine) Built in December 1963.

•   I did not move the distributor
•   I did one plug wire at a time. I confirmed they are in correct order.
•   I removed the condenser
•   I removed the ballast resistor
•   I made sure the magnet was on all the way.  (I made sure that the hexagonal portion was in the correct position) I was very hard to push down. It felt too tight.
•   I double checked the coil wire set up.
•   I confirmed that I am getting spark to all cylinders by visually seeing the spark.

Thank you
Gil
Gil
1964 230SL Standard