Author Topic: Connecting NEW Hirschmann automatic antenna to an original Becker  (Read 747 times)

RichardPercival

• Regular
  • USA, NY, New York
Reaching out to those who have done this before!

My 66 230SL was a German car and has the Becker Grand Prix on it's build sheet.
My understanding is that any car specified in Germany with the top end Becker radio likely had an automatic antenna too. (manuals seem to have been more usual for export where radios were also dealer fitted) Mine had a later manual but having taken off the fuse box in the engine bay I see a fuse for the radio and a separate antenna one.

I've just had the original factory Becker Grand Prix (transistor but still Mono) serviced by Becker Autosound and also bought a new Hirschmann auta 2050 antenna from them. What I'm not clear on is how to attach the driver for the antenna to the back of the Grand Prix amplifier (and can see nothing detailing that in the threads or manual)

The folks at Becker told me where to plug it but not how to do so - similarly I hoped someone might clarify attaching to the fuse box in the engine bay (the new antenna comes with a built in fuse box in line but presumably the wire should still join the 12v power at the point of the fuse box since anywhere else would require cutting/splicing it in?

Thanks,
Rich

1966 Mercedes 230SL (Euro model)

RichardPercival

• Regular
  • USA, NY, New York
Should I just cut off the brass flat head from the green driver wire that looks to be designed for plug in to a later unit and simply shove the copper wire down one of the holes for the driver (the black cap shows + for both holes)

Similarly not sure where to attach the red power wire in the fuse box. Again do I cut off the flat head and just attach the copper wire to the fuse box as normal?

The fuse box lid was rusted on and after a couple of weeks of prying and applications of rust blaster I bought an identical replacement lid and broke the old one off - The plastic turn screw crumbled immediately and the replacement used part is all metal.
Thanks,
Rich

Pawel66

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Konstancin-Jeziorna
There are more elegant ways to hook it than just shove the naked wire to the terminal and and screw it. One of them is to put some tin (solder the end a bit) on the end so that strands do not get messy.

Another way is this:  https://allegro.pl/oferta/zaciskarka-do-tulejek-praska-kabli-koncowek-konektorow-przewodow-0-25-10mm-15159406368?bi_s=ads&bi_m=showitem:desktop:top:active&bi_c=MjA1YTQyODgtYjAwMy00YTA0LTljMjgtYmI5MzdjYWFhN2Q1AA&bi_t=ape&referrer=proxy&emission_unit_id=1f9ef5dc-b490-41bc-9d32-92eec41470f8

As for the fuses: there are two of them, one has permanent power, not dependent on the key and ignition lock, the other one has power when you turn the key in ignition to accessory position (not sure if it is the case for 230SL, or it would be just ignition, not accessory). Antenna goes to permanent power, radio goes to power in accessory position. This is logical - antenna needs to have a chance to fold when you switch the ignition off and walk away from the car.

The above applies when you have the wires peeled out from the harness that is passing nearby. I understand this is the set up you had, you just replaced the fuse box. 
Pawel

280SL 1970 automatic 180G Silver
W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

RichardPercival

• Regular
  • USA, NY, New York
Thanks Pawel,

I can certainly put some solder on the end but forgive my ignorance as not sure what you mean by 'to the terminal and screw it' should I be inserting a screw to hold the wire in the hole?
The two holes above the antenna ones have a two pronged plug inserted in them from the loudspeaker.
These two holes that had the black plastic pluc in them look slightly wider and I think don't have a brass ring iaround their edge like the others.
Should I be putting a crew in one of these holes to hold the copper wire in place, and if so is there a standardized guage for it or is it just a question of finding one that fits?

Thanks!
Thanks,
Rich

Pawel66

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Konstancin-Jeziorna
Richard, sorry, "insert and screw" I meant for the type of connector I saw on the fuse box picture.

The picture of the radio - I am not sure, looks like a plug type of connection to me.
Pawel

280SL 1970 automatic 180G Silver
W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class