Author Topic: UPDATE: FOUND...stolen in los angeles - vin 11304412007568 - red on tan  (Read 2484 times)

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
Re: UPDATE: FOUND...stolen in los angeles - vin 11304412007568 - red on tan
« Reply #50 on: September 13, 2024, 02:30:36 »
I don't have an iPhone so obviously air tag is not in the picture.  Might there be an android equivalent? But I digress.
There are Android based trackers as well very similar in size and function. Among those released or on task TO BE released include products by Chipolo, Pebblebee, Tile, Samsung, Kzo and more. All for sale on Amazon.
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL auto "Italian"

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #51 on: September 13, 2024, 13:52:30 »
I don't have an iPhone so obviously air tag is not in the picture.  Might there be an android equivalent? But I  digress. 

My question would be how do members protect their baby?  This might be a difficult question to answer in that members might not want to share their methods but let's give it a try

I have redundant systems in that one prevents starting, another limits the fuel flow.  Of course there is always the steering wheel lock

Keep the car in a garage, that's how I try and keep mine safe. It's worked for 25 years.
Live in a good neighborhood, that is a huge plus. Big ticket crime in my town is rare; not impossible but rare.
Have a real-sized dog that barks a lot. Really. My boxer-lab mix puts the fear of God into every "new" delivery driver she encounters.

One never knows why a car thief steals a car. Do they want to part it out? It's easier to steal a CAT off a new Toyota and fence that than it is dealing with a 50 year old car with obscure parts. Do they want to try and use the car? Will they drive it or flat bed or tow it away? Nothing will stop a determined thief but perhaps staring down the double barrels of a 12 gauge when caught in the act.

Most important: have good insurance for the right amount.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

AndrewB

• Senior
  • , Channel Islands, Forest
« Reply #52 on: September 13, 2024, 21:24:47 »
Replying to John :

I have a security device and tracker in each of my cars. These not only immobilise the ignition and fuel supply, they also set off notifications at the tracking company HQ when it is moved without the ignition being on, or if the battery is disconnected.

The devices are real time, show the precise location (and a few other items) on a smartphone app, and have been reliable to date

I had another car (Landrover Defender) with the same tracking device (but not the immobiliser component) that was stolen last year. I discovered the theft at 18:30, contacted the police (took almost 3 hours….) and the tracking company thereafter. The police were pretty dismissive about finding the car, but the tracking company was in touch with them and within 20 minutes I had a call that the car had been located.

I met the police at the car by 22:30. It had been driven about 20 miles from where it had been stolen. Thieves leave cars in a quiet spot for some time to check whether there is a tracker. The ECU had already been reprogrammed so my key would not start it. I had to recover it on a low loader and have the ECU reprogrammed to match new remotes.

If I had not had a tracker, the car would have been gone….without a tracker the UK police have no means of finding a stolen car.
1969 280SL (unrestored)
1970 280SL (fully restored)
1971 Range Rover Suffix A Kingsley Restomod
1987 500SL
2002 Porsche 996 Targa
2011 Landrover Defender TdCi
2019 Mercedes S560 Cabriolet