Author Topic: Watkins Glen Road Trip & Speedway  (Read 762 times)

Ed Riefstahl

• Senior
  • USA, PA, North East
Watkins Glen Road Trip & Speedway
« on: July 29, 2024, 03:36:15 »
Greetings Pagoda friends,

As some of you know, my wife and I were planning a trip to Canyon Lands area this summer in our 1966 230SL (AKA Ms Magoo). However with the extreme heat, 100 degree plus, and no AC, we decided it wasn't wise. We have postponed our trip out West until next year.

So, last week we took a road trip to the Finger Lakes Region in Central New York State. The Finger Lakes area is huge with long, narrow lakes some 40 miles long. There are also over 1000 waterfalls. When you are between the lakes, you are a thousand or two thousand feet up looking down and across the lakes. It's an incredible place to visit, especially with a Pagoda.

We spent much of our time in and around the town of Watkins Glen, home of the famous Grand Prix International Speedway. It is located at the bottom, south end of Seneca Lake. We also spent some time around Butter Milk Falls at the bottom, south end of Cayuga Lake.

For a sports car buff, it doesn't get much better than Watkins Glen. Embedded In the sidewalks of Main Street are bronze plaques with the names of many famous Grand Prix winners, such as Mario Andretti.

We visited the Watkins Glen International Speedway Visitor Center on Main St. The hostess told us for a fee, we could drive our Pagoda a few laps around the actual race track. She told us what time to arrive, and of course we would need to sign a waver.

My wife and I took Ms Magoo for 3 laps of the 3.4 mile Grand Prix course. It was a blast! Our freshly tuned Pagoda with 4.08 gears and four new tires, was right at home. It felt like we flew around the hair pin curves. I did have her up to 80 a couple times. With all the sharp turns, that was fast enough, and I wasn't about to abuse our beautiful car. The downside is, there are folks with Suv's, trucks and Minivans who also take their vehicles on the track. It was still a blast, and one of those things we'll never forget.

We drove around several of the lakes, hiked to many of the water falls, and just enjoyed our 48th anniversary, putting 800 miles on Ms Magoo in the process.

Ed & Clover Riefstahl  "Cruising the back Roads of America, one mile at a time."

1966 230SL (Ms Magoo) Horizon Blue
1970 280S (Miss Daisy)
1999 BMW Z3 5 speed
1991 BMW 318I 5 Speed
1997 Toyota Paseo Convertible - One of 1000, (have you ever seen one?)
1997 Ford Ranger step side (Mater)
2023 Mazda CX 5

John Betsch - "SADIE"

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Silver
  • USA, NY, SOUTHOLD
Re: Watkins Glen Road Trip & Speedway
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2024, 23:10:39 »
I must congratulate you, your wife and Ms Magoo as being the epitome of what Pagodas strive for.    Our cars, although spectacular to look at, all want to be used.  And use, you do, all so well.  You are also a terrific story teller and I look forward to an article in Pagoda World!

JB
JB; 1965 German market SL, Rot Met 571, Summary Code 213 Interior