Author Topic: Becker Mexico TR (or Grand Prix) mods...couple questions  (Read 555 times)

230S-111.010

• Junior Level
  • USA, FL, SWFL
Greetings - stumbled on this forum looking for ideas on a Mexico TR or possible a Grand Prix to fit to my heckflosse/fintail - 1966 230S.  I was pleasantly surprised to find a sub-forum for my car here also!  Seems like previous mail lists, forums, etc have died out.

I have a Mexico TR I pulled from a junked cars years ago. Has the correct small faceplate and all the fintail mounting hardware for my 1966 230S.  This radio has the the Q button to activate the aux input source which I prefer vs. having to manually plug/unplug a cable to switch.  But...it doesn't have FM presets.  I have the cable w/ the 3.5mm headphone jack from Becker in NJ already and was planning on using a BT adaptor.  This is a mono radio.

The radio works - I cleaned it up and tested everything years ago.  Reading some posts here by a dormant poster (Aaron) there are recommendations to replace all the capacitors in the amp component.  Does anyone by chance have a list of all the capacitors needed and a good place to order?  I'm decent with a soldering iron but don't know much about picking capacitors.  Guessing Digi-Key best place to buy???

Alternatively - would it be possible to wire a modern amp (which comes with built in BT) to this instead of using the original amp entirely?  I have one of these in an old FJ40 and it works great. I mostly stream off the phone anyway but could switch to the BT amp's wired input for AM/FM coming from the Becker. I even have some discrete/hidden speaker enclosures that would work great under the front seats and not use the center dash speaker at all.   I wouldn't need the AUX input cable nor BT adaptor at all as the amp would take care of that.

Here's an example of the amp I have in the FJ40 -
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IBI518Y

Speakers I have -
https://www.classiccarstereos.com/undercover-i-speakers-pair-120w.html

If the elimination of the original amp for a modern amp I could instead use a 1969 Grand Prix I also have.  I was able to modify another narrow bezel and faceplate to fit the finny dash.  The thumbwheel is the only issue - would have to adjust that before install and tuck behind the dash.   All the mounting hardware looks like it would work for the Grand Prix.  I don't want to use Grand Prix in it's original/correct form b/c of the requirement to plug/unplug the cable to switch sources between Aux and the radio frequencies.  It's stereo instead of mono which is a bonus w/ the speakers under the front seats.

Would need the pin-out of the cable between the amp and the radio and probably pick up a "parts" Becker amp/power-supply to sacrifice for the umbilical cable connection.  I wouldn't modify/hack the working radio nor amp at all.  Any reason this wouldn't work?  Is there a risk of powering the radio via the car 12V bypassing the original amp/power supply?  I could add a resistor for the small light bulb....as I'm assuming that is likely a separate wire in the "umbilical" between the radio and amp/power supply.

Thanks -

Dave
1966 230S
1998 C43 AMG w/ 5.4, Wavetrac LST, 6 MT
1959 190SL - sold

doitwright

• Gold
  • USA, IL, Willowbrook
Re: Becker Mexico TR (or Grand Prix) mods...couple questions
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2024, 23:17:43 »
Google Aurora Design Radio

Your can search this forum to find this subject has been discussed.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2024, 23:23:12 by doitwright »
Frank Koronkiewicz
Willowbrook, Illinois

1970 280SL Originally Light Ivory - Now Anthracite Gray Metallic

230S-111.010

• Junior Level
  • USA, FL, SWFL
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2024, 12:29:17 »
Aurora Design is not what I'm looking for nor asking.  I do NOT want to modify the original radio nor amp at all.  I'm trying to figure out if I can simply wire a modern amp w/ built-in bluetooth to the Becker "chassis" instead of the original Becker amp. (see links)  This would give me what I need - via a relatively inexpensive and non-intrusive approach.
1966 230S
1959 190SL - sold

230S-111.010

• Junior Level
  • USA, FL, SWFL
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2024, 12:49:50 »
I just found this -

https://creativecaraudioshop.com/shop/ols/products/rca-adapter-for-becker-mexico-cassette-vollstereo-485-and-becker-grand-prix-mu

"RCA Adapter for Becker Mexico Cassette Vollstereo 485 and Becker Grand Prix MU

8 pin to RCA Adapter for Becker Mexico Cassette Vollstereo 485 and Becker Grand Prix Stereo MU ONLY!

This adapter allows the use of aftermarket amplifiers instead of Becker amplifier

It does not work with Becker TR Radios although the connection is the same!"

Need to check which Becker Grand Prix I have - can't recall if an "MU" but this may be exactly what I was proposing to build.
1966 230S
1959 190SL - sold