Author Topic: Slotted Nut - Manual Trans  (Read 942 times)

kampala

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Beach Cities
Slotted Nut - Manual Trans
« on: August 04, 2024, 00:09:18 »
The symptoms —

A bit more difficult to get into any gear, just a little.  I thought this would mean shifter bushing and replaced them even though they looked fine- no real difference in shifting. 

Then changed trans fluid, made no difference. 

Then noticed erratic speedo !!   I had a little needle bounce before and was told and read about the slotted nut.  But the little bounce was minimal until now — it was erratic. 

At the same time, felt a strange shift into 4th, like I didn’t push the clutch all the way. 

The Diagnosis—

Read everything I could and deduced the 250 had every symptom of a loose slotted nut at the output flange of the trans. 

Now what —-

Being in Chicago (for work and having brought the 250 here) I really didn’t have the resources to do this work nor did I know of a shop that could do it.   I talked to member Tyler who has done this before to pick his brain and got great advice in addition to Joe Alexander’s great write ups.

I had met Mark, member name “Iconic” at the Virginia PUB and also at Chicago Pagodafest - and he is close to Chicago.  I asked if he knew a shop that could do this as I was quite intimidated.  Mark offered to help and offered for me to come to his home and we could use his lift!

This was a game changer.   

The work—

Armed with the special tool for the slotted nut, I got the car to Mark’s home. 

We lifted the car, supported the trans, removed the trans support plate, removed the trans mount, removed bolts from the flex disc, removed the bolts at the driveshaft center support, and disconnected the driveshaft at the differential.  We decided to not try and disconnect the slip joint nuts as these have been known to be quite difficult, hence we removed the bolts at the differential.  Mark has battled the slip joint nuts before.

Moved the driveshaft back to have access to the slotted nut.   

Wow -  the issue was beyond obvious - the slotted nut was sooooo loose that I could turn it by hand.  Used the special tool and was quite surprised how many turns it took to tighten the slotted nut. 

Now time to put it all back together- Mark did the heavy lifting here as he has a special ability to get bolts and nuts lined up and started. Really helped a lot. 

So incredibly nice of Mark to not only offer his lift but to help do so much of the work.  It’s quite amazing the help you can get 2100 miles from home base.   This forum has these kinds of people. 

Test drive - easy shifting like before, smooth speedo and no issues going into all gears nicely. 

Thanks to Joe A for always stating that folks should not ignore these symptoms, thanks to Tyler for giving great advice and of course to Mark for making it happen.

We got dirty as my car is a serious and filthy driver.

250sl - later - manual
280sl - 1971 - Auto - LSD

Kevkeller

• Silver
  • USA, HI, Honolulu
Re: Slotted Nut - Manual Trans
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2024, 01:40:44 »
Is the slotted nut the nut that holds the transmission to drive shaft flange on?

That’s a great story with a happy ending.
1970 280 SL

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2024, 03:40:32 »
Is the slotted nut the nut that holds the transmission to drive shaft flange on?

That’s a great story with a happy ending.

It would be.  There is also a slotted nut inside of the transmission on the main shaft. It can come loose and cause similar problems only not as pronounced. It takes a special lock cup to remount the nut.
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2024, 05:25:58 »
Great story, glad you got it sorted!
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

Philippe VIARD

• Junior Level
  • France, Picardie, Aumont en Halatte
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2024, 09:51:23 »
hi,
is it possible to have a photo of the special tool ?

Pawel66

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Konstancin-Jeziorna
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2024, 10:38:41 »
Some clues on the tool here: https://www.sl113.org/wiki/Electrical/Speedo#ErraticSpeedo

The MB tool is mentioned, but I do not know the PN.

I am not sure if we ever got the the point what should be the torque for this slotted nut for automatic gearbox. Actually, torques for both manual and automatic gearboxes would be useful as part of the procedure in Technical Manual.
Pawel

280SL 1970 automatic 180G Silver
W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

Pinder

• Platinum
  • USA, NJ, Edison
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2024, 13:21:29 »
I think the slotted nut torque is 87ft/lbs

Regards

Pinder
1970 280 SL Light Ivory DB 670. 4 Speed manual shift no AC Limited Slip Diff.

BobH

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, England, MALDON
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2024, 13:25:18 »
Have a look on here if you need the socket, they may have the correct size, called a pin wrench socket

https://www.samstagsales.com/mercedes.htm#transmission
February 1965 230SL Automatic
UK delivered RHD
Papyrus white, blue hard top & hub caps
Blue soft top
Blue leather

kampala

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Beach Cities
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2024, 22:28:36 »
The special tool is in the link Pawel provided- and that link also shows the nut and all associated parts - it’s the write-up that I followed as a guide.  It’s a good guide. 

The torque for the slotted nut was a bit confusing as I found various values in our threads.  I followed the method described by one of our experts here - make it very tight. 
250sl - later - manual
280sl - 1971 - Auto - LSD

Iconic

• Platinum
  • USA, IL, Highland Park
  • ex-Membership Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2024, 16:43:22 »
SOOO glad I could help !!   :)
Mark
1970 280 SL Automatic, USA version, Grey-Blue (906G/906G), Blue leather (245)
1968 SS396 Camaro Convertible (owned since 1977 -- my first car :D)
1984 Porsche Euro Carrera coupe, LSD, SlateBlueMet/Blue
1998 BMW M-Rdstr Estoril Blue
1970 280 SL Automatic, Anthracite Grey-173G, Red Interior-132 - sold